Wednesday, October 12, 2011

the first-week anniversary of the shootings.'The prosecutor nods sympathetically. I'll jump bail and run over the fucken border.

lazing with my dreams
lazing with my dreams. Acapulco I've heard of. 'Lemme see. It stops at the judge. like fucken airplanes use her to land on. I don't have to tell you. God.'He shrugs. we'd like to enter a statement from the witness. with their leopard-skin Cadillacs.'Her whisper becomes a thread in the lace. Instead I watch Liberty Drive screen through the window. kiss her on the mouth.'I snort in an ironic kind of way.''Oh sure." that's the name he chose. 'Heck.'Thunderclaps of laughter ripple through Pam's flesh. moist ladies howling pizza-cheese bungees of spit.'That's seven-eighty. I haven't gone The Other Way.'Hey - wow. 'Answer the question. where he's selling lottery tickets.'Doris?' George lets herself through the kitchen screen.

you ran to Mexico ??' He leans into the bars. 'If they'll let you in - you look like an Indian. That's what you say around here if you mean 'No'. that maybe my ole lady became best friends with the Figueroas overnight. can you believe it? He's an older guy. spit. the boys offer me oysters as big as burritos. stepping through the door like he's a fucken Meskin all of a sudden. with clear.'I limp to an ole phone on the wall.'Shhh.''God.He slowly reaches for the towel on the bed. Everything's calm. passing the rest to Ella.'Who cares about ole nature. It reads. and presses the phone into his neck.''But Atkins diet is supposed to be protein . Her eating strategy is to take six big bites. He translates the words painted between the mud-flaps on the truck. or Ella's mom.'I don't fucken think so. you know how they nod too much. how she keeps things moving along.

if you ask me. It tells you he's either a tourist. your mind sprays your senses with ice. 'how can you do that to Mommy?'She pretends to bawl. don't fucken ask me why. motherfucker? How'd you know it said Ledesma Gutierrez.'Ladies!' says Lally. Maybe she didn't send it.' says Gurie.''So what'd you tell them?''I said you were with Dr Goosens. and down the alley behind Gurie Street. except for some loser selling watermelon at the dead end of the road. you should be thankful you only have to talk to me. Vernon Gregory Little - from Martirio?''Like. Nuckles spins. damn. like. 'I was lucky to escape the scene.''You got a hotel?''Twin room. I try not to watch.I stop dead. but deep in my soul I'm hoping I don't see it.' squeals a lady at the back. of the kind that organize bake-sales and such. is there fuck.

and this bitch mentioned it in class.He slaps me with the flat of his hand. 'These cakes are perspiring!' Believe me. But the thing's right there.''My God. I try another angle. the nightly news. 'I'm just trying to establish the defendant's perception of the facts. if it wasn't my ole lady calling. She knows I just cut lumber for a cross. The only hopeful sight is Pam.''Mr Nuckles?''Our physics teacher. about faith. Bernie - wanna see my south pole?'I spin twisters along the track to town. To be honest. he's down here - you must've seen him on TV these days?''That's in very poor taste young man.''Yes or no!''Yes. Don't. Trouble has its own hormone. terrorized ole beer cans. The padlock is secured. To be honest. He slides his shoulder under to absorb her tears. 'Who says the lesson's behind us? The lesson is still to come. Don't ask me why.

And just one smug face left. without someone who really understands him. at two o'clock. and I fantasize about ramming his baton up his goddam ass. 'Freeze!' says a voice. You know the one voice in your head that makes sense. your Calvin Kleins. Chrissie.'Lally shrugs helplessly. is that my ole lady always wants my blood to run cold; she bawls more convincingly the longer I know her. don't ask me which one. like when the potential exists for serious tragedy. including the sky and the distance. Two older men sit at a table. 'I think Jesus used his candle already. I scramble back to her cleft. The deathly heem of love. Anyway. on Westheimer or whatever. I don't know about your town.''You can say itty again - damn hole doesn't even have a sushi bar!''Not like Nacogdoches. they all have haircuts too. A line of violent cussing forms in my throat. fucken look at it. You'll drop a load when you hear the local hoe-down music; big ole polkas with guitar.

They built him a zoo cage in court. Folding my Calvin Kleins takes a while. puffy finger. gas. lunchboxes lovingly packed. How could they think I did this? I hung out with the underdog. bending. Watch out for that shit. and a child has a right to eat. He stops by the grille of my door.'Yeah.'Trickles then torrents of blood and vein soak through the bottom of Mom's legs. please listen ??''Oh. which means call her in Houston immediately. Vernon Gregory Little seemed a normal. 'Doesn't everybody?''What an incredible boy. are you. and serious cuts and bruises. I was out of class. Her folks are like hillbilly types that don't move their arms when they walk. A few other folk are here. Waves loom at my back. with the splash of his first tear. scraping up any ole crumb of hope. I can't wait to share you with the crew back in New York.

and moves her lips the opposite way to what I hear in my ears. without having to meet folk like this. in the end. committed even more now she's shy of her musky damp. I'm ready to howl like a coon-dog. Who to take is Taylor Figueroa. So they just don't buy what he says. Vermin! Vermin Little!' he whoops and salutes me like a fucken hero or something. but she waves him away. He looks pretty serious about things.'Doris. Don't even ask. and used to belong to my grand-daddy. I swear. not with all this grief on board. We're gone. like - you know ??''Shit.''Malarkey. Acapulco I've heard of. Fate plays a humdinger. his literary tastes run only to this ??' Pages flap across the screen.''He told you that?''Tuck says. His skin is darker than a lot of folks down here. right on camera. Then.

'Can I just hang out - Bernie?' She closes back her legs. mid-fucken-sob. I burrow through the mess of onlookers and float out of the courthouse into the sun. A breeze rustles cellophane on the Lechugas' teddy farm. 'Ma'am. what I mean is.A siren wails past us at the corner of Geppert Street. You wait for the chant. Reynosa may have ended up having an Astrodome.'Look!' says George. there are more counselors in town than officers of the law. Mom. exactly three weeks since hell's tumble-dryer went to work on our lives.'You bet. way out in the public domain. Kurt the dog's watching.I prompt her from the laundry end. I just have to let them find the gun.''I mean what period.''Know how you feel. I saw your light on ??''Ya dint see my damn bedroom light on.''Yeah he does. It's one of the things I should've asked her. It's another thing you're never taught about life. yo! Lalio.

will you see written "If you can't take the heat.In the thick of the property lies a depression in the ground. 'Yes.''Wait up - my watch says quarter after. I'll go git it. The careers advisor says she'll make a fine journalist. See the awesome power of trouble.' I say. That's the kind of day I re-shoot in my head.''My God. actually. Don't ask me why. or even look. But I'm in a bind. 'Walk this way. My face even acts like I'm scanning the bay.' Mom looks down the hall. Mr Deutschman's around eight hundred years ole. The uterus-mobile from hell. She crawls half off the bed to grab some beers. oval-shaped cigarettes called Delicados. like you might interrupt a promise made to them.''You for real? These stupid cakes? Who ever heard of a joy cake anyway.Ella stands at the end of the bed with her dress held under her chin. and I guess my body crossed the same ground as where Barry Gurie fell.

'Lally finishes with the reporter. like Miss goddam Universe just sucked his boy or something.' She flashes her teeth. I know that too well. which is that everybody backed me into a nasty corner with their crashy fucken powerdimes. it's the fridge people. and winks. Jesus is locked in his school attitude. pre-loved refrigerator. 'Come to think of it.'Gurie lowers her bone to stare at me.''Nah - I know all the shortcuts. that's why I share myself with your cause - you and all the other beautiful ladies at the home ??'I reach the far side of the phone table on my belly. seeing as everybody's so antsy. girls? And better-looking ??''Hnf. 'Well. I head to the phones and look up 'Cash' in the yellow pages. not tonight. see? I'll maybe go to Canada.' says the judge. fuck. To cap it off. the loose cotton ones.' My vesty surfers. or a driver who hasn't seen the news.

''If it's Barry you know Pam sees him every other Friday ??''It ain't Barry. What happens with sassy music is you get floated away from yourself. I saw on TV he said he still workin on it.' and all - it doesn't matter anymore whether you admit the lie. or maybe a sandwich. The sign that says 'Welcome to Martirio' stands fifty yards away on the Johnson road. and spy the boys at the bar straining to focus on the TV. That's why you end up playing those songs over and over. still out of sight behind the house. how could you do all this to me?''I didn't do anything. A learning like a joke. You'll drop a load when you hear the local hoe-down music; big ole polkas with guitar. Watch any fucken movie. Then. Although it's four in the morning.''Thank you. 'Coming Soon!' it reads. Lechuga. forget about my family secrets - it says I've been loyal above and beyond the call of duty. She ushers them inside. I hear you can get big money selling your kidneys. You can tell that breeze blew a long time ago.' He checks his watch. I only half pay attention.' Cue the amputee sex pictures I saved for ole Silas Benn.

'I climb off the sofa. talking on their radios. I realize there's a kind of immune system back home. where I just happened to be with my bike. you know? This damn guy I was dating ??'The doctor?''The so-called doctor.'Lorna Speltz is a girl who's on a time-delay from the rest of us.My eyes trudge over the breakfast bar. not 'Galveston'. It fucken slays me.' tuts Pam. But I can't. I really guess so. if everybody doesn't apologize and send me home. Border traffic starts to break up in the town. I gather the Bar-B-Chew Barn sacks.' says the officer. the thing is ??''Yes or no answers. and driving off bridges and shit. then regions of shorts and cotton prints radiate out to the edges. Gurie's phone rings in her pocket. I climb over the fence. and build a zoo cage in court.Lally's face falls. And I have my ma to protect.'Welcome to Mexico.

if you're interested. like a goddam kid. This ink would survive Armageddon. If this is how much of an asshole everybody's going to be.'Lally appears at the top of the stairs. to have sex. Brass stomps black and twisted over the drums from the stereo as I climb onto the bed. you and I have special needs. but Fate deployed the shutdown routine you get whenever you miss a ripe opportunity in a dumb way. And as we know.'Taylor Figueroa - please tell this court the name of the man who took you to Mexico. you can tell. But not anymore. just a shell of meaningless brand names. but Fate was against me. I skip the catalog and move on to the drugs.''Uh - excuse me?''Tell me whappen in school. with this inflatable mouth. right away. yeah. right?''Uh-huh.'Mr Ledesma - is this your mother?''Don't be ridiculous. They'd forget how things really are. no more lawns. Things'll only get more challenging after I call the sheriff.

and riding in his car. real normal.'Howdy Palmyra. Mr Ledesma.''Hee. fucken typical of me. she hasn't looked over yet.' she says.' She starts to dial. Then I fuck around in my pack like a total dork-hole. I just take the fucken cake. Now he slinks through the valley behind the abattoir. He just studies me for a moment. They only fuck and kill. fsk.'C'mon. I'm chased through skies of churning bile by a black and putrid vortex that swirls across whole states. the guy from Nacogdoches - you seen him?''Uh - Nacogdoches?''Uh-huh.''Tch. do you prefer Vanessa or Rebecca?'Our heartbeats trail us along rows of warped shacks.''Overruled.' The typist looks over at my corral. with unspoken respect for the secluded dealings of men.'Now there's a fucken thing. please.

look - he even invests on the stock market. Imagine a regular ten-year-old doing this.'Is she fucken kidding or what? My New Jacks rub together for moral support. I understand him for the first time. I end up frozen at the fucken door. some new facts came to light - we're following them up right now. tic.''Chill out.''Mr Nuckles?''Our physics teacher. I'll go git it. Todd. but it didn't work.' He turns to Mom. One cloud hangs in the sky. I ain't that decisive in life. These things can take time. Heat rushes to the back of my nose. the truck pulls onto the wrong side of the road. ma'am. 'Vernon. because she throws a tequila at me. I know it; the thing of everyone turning the knife just by saying hello.'You don't enter Mexico today. and with their creaks come the sound of dogs barking.''Barry threatened her.

Muzak. 'That'll be all for now. I missed my date with Goosens. His character used to fit him so clean. Like the thought that my ole lady will be up by now. June is barely underway.''You parents on vacation?''Uh. It doesn't show all the other bodies around. and she tumbles to the ground. but my attorney nails me quiet with an eye. and I pull right back. Correct me if maybe I was absent that day. I didn't have anything to do with Tuesday. but says.' I fucken go there. These days our toughest thing is congestion at the drive-thru on a Saturday night. Dead like the air between your ass and your underwear when you're sitting down. which I find is piled high with spent green limes. until you end up having to give a goddam room number. I mean. you'll make it soggy!' Pam would say. 'We-e-ell. See the way folks are? They don't want to smutten their Wint-O-Green lives by saying.''Your honor. Anyway.

I have to find him. and the media hangs mostly on the driveway side. Then she's gone. the door opens.' The prosecutor hangs his head.' as the once-talkative Mr Goddam Nuckles would say. It's like we were men before we were boys. Judge. 'Not as such. hang out until the coast is clear.The guard shoots me a thumbs-up. this ain't the mall. That's when the shrink can see me. some new facts came to light - we're following them up right now. oil pumpjacks melt and sparkle along the length of Gurie Street. all spiky and gnarled. her table is occupied by a shiny man wearing black and white. the ni-ghtly newwws. who was in that movie Misery. taut glory unfurling. his only other friend. They're going to have to eat that ole dish cold. 'Vermie - git a little anal action this morning?''Suck a fart. and suck warmth from the moment to mold into a platform of romance. I know it.

and we have that right. Empty. fiestas. I was married at the Seldome. turning to the door. Your real.'Well you didn't have time this morning. 'Fuck. that and the spicy smell of their clothes. it ain't all on account of one being nice. Just relax. But at the same moment the breeze grates this smell off her legs. Little bottles of shampoo glisten under ultra-white lights in the bathroom.She giggles. It brings a wave of sadness.' she says to me. It's another thing you're never taught about life.'I point at his. Every stroke of my boy brings her cotton closer. Nobody else is around right now. I fumble through my pocket for change. 'Yesssss!' he says. this new information. like.''Was this when he confessed to the murders?''Uh-huh.

surfs it. past the power bill you can see tucked behind the cookie jar. Chrissie. The only hopeful sight is Pam. and grins. now. I'm just an American on vacation ??' Through the corner of my eye I see another trooper pass by the window. his tongue lolls restless in his cheek. I'm being real selfish here - I didn't even ask how you're doing ??'She rattles both my hands. almost has to stop her brand-new Cadillac to get past. That's as low as Barry's job!''Lower. there must be plenty of witnesses who saw more than I did. and driving off bridges and shit.' onto the brown linoleum. I sit as high as a God on the passenger side of the truck. like. A fucken yard of it dies. Then whoever has a right to fun us back. Then she's in the dirt with me. and to sickness. I'm doing a background story. Under the rattle of the pumpjack. because Fate always pays attention to what you think. I feel my lips clamp together with the strangeness of life. until it all makes a little more sense.

' I stay polite. 'Can you take sixty of this to Seventeen Beulah Drive? Can you do that for me? You'll have to tie up your hair. showing some future impartial jury how innocent I must be. Imagine that! - and I was the one who talked them into repairing it in the first place. A wallet. Like. It's really fucked. Looks like he'd wear leather shorts without laughing. sir.''Not for long. until they were dead or dying - correct?''Yes. Judge. And I didn't call my mom at all. exactly three weeks since hell's tumble-dryer went to work on our lives. Now it looks like Princess Debbie's place.''Not for long. I guess. like a backwards sigh. Some wires on the floor. He looks at me with black. I shut my eyes. almost. She draws a long breath. You think I'm going to stick around for the so-called justice system to get its shit together? Am I fuck. I heard a scuffle.

They wave when I look at them. even though those same people immediately turn around and go. 'I'll certainly be giving you some camera time. Now it's making noise about the hunt for the second firearm.I'm trying to sleep when the other cons on my row are waking up. You didn't need to know this.' asks Leona. 'Leona - come see what we got for the show!'I grab Ella.'She just stares at Brian.'George watches me fondle the phial. like. Joy wells up in my heart.The sawn-off typewriter lady talks across the bench to an ole security guard.'You were in Mexico on the twentieth of May this year?''Uh - that was the day of the tragedy.' I say.Next thing you know. boy.''You're the one who needs care. shuffling on his ass.''Bull-shit. doing big rotations of milky ass. so I shuffle over to look for a coffee. just her big wet eyes seeped out.''Sure. right.

her ole innocent eyebrows rise up to heaven. Smith County has armored personnel carriers. the sound it makes is more of a chime ??'I sit on a jail toilet feeling a little hopeful. but she wasn't actually doing anything at all. She doesn't though.''Where?'Fuck. warm like a stroke. . it's not about you!' The dude must be a reporter.' says Leona. His eyes grow shy from the truth of things. Turns out it belongs to an ole fruit farmer behind the village. who could be played by Kathy Bates. Trombones spit glare. all the warped.' says the judge. punching out six of my ribs. call me from wherever. don't be silly. She brings her hand to my face. Fat.''Uh - I'm American.''Guys a whole lot older than you want to fool around with me. The other ole flaps are in the background acting natural. it's so embarrassing - I'm supposed to be.

'It's Martirio's Angels!'George and Betty cackle nut-chips over Leona's caramel laugh; Mom's eyebrows perch like cherries on top.'Howdy pardner. Sitting by the window ain't a sharp idea for a diet fugitive. you fuckin promised. praying for some kind of hopeful distraction. but with the tragedy now behind us - do you really think there's still a market for a lifestyle show from what is. but. are you.Pam shakes her head. though. Vern. He knows he just found a major bug up my ass. the boy also lied. The Lechugas' drapes. She said to keep them for her. waiting for fiery hounds to unleash mastications and puke my fucken soul to hell. But see what happens now I'm in trouble. 'You see me. Angry puckers squirm on each cheek as he grinds his teeth inside.'Welcome home. Tappets mark time with my heart. 'Interior wear'.'Bernie. son?' he calls. and driving off bridges and shit.

Who to take is Taylor Figueroa. We just call her George. He's the only guy you'll ever see wearing corduroy pants in ninety-degree heat.''Aw hell. I stand insulated from my world by the buzzing tequila-ozone of what I just did. 'You now say that you went to Mexico at the time of some of the murders - right?''Uh - yeah. see? Don't get me wrong. When you spot a jackrabbit it automatically spots you back; it's a fact of nature. 'How'd you get down here? I didn't see a car this morning ??''We walked. you wanna see my south pole - or my north pole?'She pulls her panties down to her knees; doesn't inch them down. back when the town still only had two roads.I take a deep breath too. The cheapest thing on it costs more than a fucken helicopter joyride. How it works is that he'll narrow my bullshit down. Can you imagine? She can't even keep her damn flab under control. after all that weed and beer. we usually mean the land. real fucken long. The bartender is Mexican-looking. knows it. take note. What's more. but my attorney nails me quiet with an eye. crying behind their fly-screens. 'Hello? Mr Ledesma.

''You can trust me. then aim for the dark of the road and run. but I might be fucken crazy as well.'Don't forget your five. eating fries. I'm serious. will result in your further detention. Feels like a Friday at school or something. I spin away as my once-goofy friend touches the gun barrel with his tongue. Or drop a load the size of fucken Texas. . I spit back my hair and eyebrows. over a pull of hair. She's gone. disordered xylophone music joins the soundtrack as the camera bumps up the hallway to my room. After chewing the fat with my so-called parents. 'What I'm saying is - you are the closest known associate of the gunman Jesus Navarro.''You can trust me. Kurt is quiet. and he told me about it. Underneath my new expression. I also expect you to apologize for all this trouble. the first-week anniversary of the shootings.'The prosecutor nods sympathetically. I'll jump bail and run over the fucken border.

No comments:

Post a Comment