Sunday, August 14, 2011

boasted. a soldier hushed him. A soothsayer who couldn't even predict his own death? he spat.

And the second
.. And the second. Then she ran away. I heard nobles disagreeing on the proper spot to ford the river. It was impossible to tell a red cross from a pool of blood.It was built on a sharp rise. and an abbess answers.Nico was right. Only last week did you not have two sons?My son Matt has gone to Vaucluse.But the satchel slid out of my grasp. his sword poised for attack. We'll throw in two bushels of carrots!I was about to go on-a joke. God had taken me where I belonged. I recognized him as Guillaume.As we waited for the word.

was swept screaming into vast crevices or dropped in his tracks by Serb or Magyar arrows a thousand miles before the first sign of a Turk. What was I doing here? What had I become?I went over to the fallen priest. horsemen appeared. Barefoot. But instead of attacking Moslem horsemen streaking out. echoed everywhere. Sophie said with a start. I heard the sound of bones cracking. where they fell. the water was still no higher than the horse's ankles. a vain smile visible under his mustache. and from within. Yet as he spoke. torsos naked and disemboweled. loomed over me. the Saracen rider had fallen off.

I could not hold it back.' He empties his pockets excitedly. He has to accept. children. And. carrot-top. He smiled as if to say. At ten!I had spent my youth traveling with a band of itinerant goliards. I felt I had shamed myself.. working around the inn. Wave after wave of frontal attacks only increased the death toll. but we needed water badly. pagan towns now consecrated in the name of God. `and consider yourself properly screwed!'Laughter broke out from all around. I looked down.

You're leaving. I am sure. quickening peals-echoing through town in the middle of the day. That whatever God had in store for us.OUR POWERLESSNESS WAS SO OBVIOUS it was shameful to me. I resumed. sucking in precious food. I felt sure I would soon die too. Then the devils moved on to us.Peter's army has crushed the infidels.You're leaving. one of the nobles in charge. your queen. and said.No. who shrugged with a thin smile.

and told of the fate of Peter the Hermit's army. horses. Our spirits were bolstered by the tales of Turks fleeing at full run. Then he pressed his heavy boot into my neck. He exhaled a final breath. Do not forget your pledge. even heroic. Brigit Convent. and started to walk. A friend had died. I grabbed my shield and ran after the boy. They were snooping for signs that Baldwin's own subjects had taken up the Cross. Something my life in Veille du P?re had stilled but not completely put aside. Mother of God.I don't get it. the size of two men.

I said to Robert. His small jaw hung open.. `Please. I only wanted to go home. But most of all.Whatkind of God inspired such horror? Was this God's fault? Or man's?Something snapped in me. the traveler hurries through the door. daylight darkened. Who knows what I might find there? There are tales of riches just for the taking. Hugh. I felt like a man who had just claimed the richest dowry.Somewhere in the heights.. Everyone was afraid of them. My eyes locked helplessly on him as he stumbled in his long robe.

Or another Alo. I waited for the death blow. carrying clubs and tools straight from home. .Now I realized what Norcross and his men were doing here. The signal was spread. one mile. No.Off in the distance the gray outline of hills narrowed to a sliver of shining blue. or the only Turkish blood you'll see will be at the end of a mop..I went back to the priest. Everyone in our town was pressed around the tiny square. All I could think to utter was. were each manned with archers. I clenched my fist.

And higher up. I made one last prayer to Sophie. I only wanted to go home. They pushed aside women and children. Free!I started to laugh once more. Cries of Death to the pagans andDei leveult . Turbaned men rushed into the street and were cut down in bloody messes before they could even raise their swords.Only twice before had I heard the bells sounded at midday in the four years since I had come to live in this town. Hugh.I ran in the pack.. Maybe I'll come back a knight. working around the inn.As this became clear. looking fit. I saw the hostility on his face fade.

I heard thewhoosh from a wave of arrows shooting across the sky. my companion. but they fell against the massive walls like harmless sticks. She would never know how I died. The men boasted once again of how many Turks they would slay in the coming fight. He exhaled a final breath. I knew. Soldiers stormed into the church.As I looked at my murderer. Then our dispirited army headed farther south. The fortress lacked all water. he called. In the open. thudding and clanging into shields and armor all around. and said.A stirring rose in me.

I knew. Robert turned to me. We were here!A jubilant roar went up.Gone. sorry voice. A friend had died. Hugh.What's going on? Robert looked around. Nicodemus. Then-eerie silence.Death after meaningless death.Disaster loomed in front of my eyes. God. The other infidel turned. I rose early. And there was something that I missed from those days.

with no great malice toward the enemy but ready to fight whoever confronted me. rumors reached us of Christians inside the city being tortured and raped. and from within. his small eyes moving from person to person.Nico. and I always did.They passed by me on their way to loot the church. which fell all the way down her back.You may have started the day still a boy. while the fearful cleric did his best to defend himself with a rough wooden staff. Jagged mountains appeared in our path. pointing back toward the road. and reached out the jagged edge of her comb one last time. Riches. Very old. I could mark them only by the sores oozing on my feet.

Haven't I always been true to our lord.Where you're headed. The irony was bursting through my sides. Everyone in our town was pressed around the tiny square. Though I wanted to weep for my fallen friends. Then-eerie silence. curved bows glinting in the morning sun. Then he pressed his heavy boot into my neck. There was a traitor inside Antioch. That night.It's an army.a village in southern France . but they fell halfway up the walls and in return brought volleys of spears and Greek fire. with one purpose. Pay them back!I had to leave. What a glorious adventure awaited.

Can't it wait. I finally prayed. for those who put aside their earthly possessions and join our Crusade.Finally. all the young who had so eagerly signed up. who managed to keep up his steady stride despite a satchel heavy with tracts of Aristotle. Today.Heaven's army. Whatever I had come for-freedom. Turks hacking at them.I came upon a Christian church. So did my urge to resist. with some inlaid writing that I could not understand. Nico's trick had worked. loud footsteps burst through the outer door. towns scorched and plundered dry.

to ask God for the forgiveness of my sins. who farmed a plot by the river. Hardened knights. our burden had seemed bearable.It was a love that was born for tears..Steady that animal. with a thatched crown. piercing the Turk with my sword. I begged.' everyone cheered. A ways ahead. we advanced toward the massive walls.But the satchel slid out of my grasp. A ways ahead. plunging my sword into his neck and watching a flow of blood rush out of the warrior's mouth.

Then the devils moved on to us. one of the nobles in charge.Suddenly the assault turned into a rout. And Robert too. I traded for a gilded perfume box to take back home for Sophie. If it's a fight you want. A volley of arrows shot back from the towers in return.Then Norcross's face split into an amused smile. or where. I said.Arrows and stones and burning pitch rained down on us from all directions.Where are these nuns whenI am in need? a soldier behind me moaned. Tafur. it's the worst equipped.Then. I watched with disgust as these swine would disembowel a Moslem warrior in front of his own eyes.

How far away she seemed right now. A sliver of orange light was just breaking over the hills to the east.After a month.I never thought I would ever say good-bye to you. blood drenching the parched earth. just as one of the attackers thrust a dagger into the belly of the priest. taking the Cross.TWO DAYS LATER. calling his name. Different from a moment ago. The love of my life.In front of us a young woman ran out of a burning house.I searched my mind for something to say in his tongue. he boasted. a soldier hushed him. A soothsayer who couldn't even predict his own death? he spat.

No comments:

Post a Comment