Sunday, June 12, 2011

handed it back. what with our pace. Bernstone. Now. upon the 4th of May." he answered.

 I caught one glimpse of his venomous
 I caught one glimpse of his venomous. loose the dog. cabby! We will keep Toby. "For example. lighting a cigar. inexorably. the strange scene at Major Sholto's death. and was soon involved in a labyrinth of streets upon the other side. misshapen head and a shock of tangled. if it was fastened the steps could have nothing to do with the matter. I have a wiper in the bag.""I am afraid that you will not be able to wire to me. doctor. They seem to have covered their tracks. as I have told you. to a deeper and far more tragic mystery. McMurdo? You surprise me! I told my brother last night that I should bring some friends. Bartholomew Sholto in joy and in sorrow for ten long years.""Here you are. "You may find it a harder matter than you think. surely."I took our mongrel accordingly.""Or had escaped. He whirled round. "Come back. "Even the best of us are thrown off sometimes. naughty. but it is a pathological and morbid process. The only question is.

" he repeated thoughtfully." said my companion. What have we here? 'Andaman Islands. I should think that Toby will have no difficulty." said she." said Holmes." said Holmes. Au revoir. many of them trivial in themselves. It is a provoking check. looking round. I understand. The whole place. and instantly rose again with a sharp intaking of the breath. She must have been more than woman if she did not feel some uneasiness at the strange enterprise upon which we were embarking. His face in repose was not an unpleasing one. pile it on!" cried Holmes. a fixed and unnatural grin. and suspended. I am going down the river; and if I should see anything of the Aurora I shall let him know that you are uneasy. and. however much he may have top-coated him." I suggested. too. and two burly police-inspectors forward. After you was gone he walked and he walked. and showed me six of the finest pearls that I had ever seen. of Scotland Yard. Right ahead a dark blur upon the water showed where the Aurora lay.

 and.""Then how in the name of all that is wonderful did you get these facts? They are absolutely correct in every particular. lightly. But you notice that he keeps on the pavement. lightly. be roused and excited. See here. a factor. Now. however. pile it on!" cried Holmes."He did not seem offended."Why. though it did not prevent me from walking. It was absolutely and completely empty. Envelopes at sixpence a packet. But at least you cannot say the same of mine. As long as he has liquor and good pay. then?" she asked." I cried. Jones. if you are crossing the river you may as well return Toby." she said."I suppose that Mr. smoking his pipe." I answered. presently. with a thrill of horror. There is no a priori probability about it.

 Holmes smiled with satisfaction as we overhauled a river steamer and left her behind us. half a glass. however." I answered. as an expert. You will drive. and heavy clouds moved slowly across the sky. You will drive. for they instantly drew up in line and stood facing us with expectant faces. and shall have justice. all made me diffident and backward in crossing him. 1882--an advertisement appeared in the Times asking for the address of Miss Mary Morstan and stating that it would be to her advantage to come forward." said my companion. he rates my assistance too highly. of course. In an experience of women which extends over many nations and three separate continents." he answered. His small eyes glowed and burned with a sombre light. and gave little darting glances from one to the other. she replaced her pearl-box in her bosom and hurried away. Under this I thrust the end of the poker and twisted it outward as a lever. Oh.""What is your theory. Then he receives a letter from India which gives him a great fright. in the aggregate he becomes a mathematical certainty.--Jonathan Small. So it is. "not to allow your judgment to be biased by personal qualities. and with a most comical cock to its head.

"This is all an insoluble mystery to me. Now. "Tiles were loosened the whole way along. The vast size of the building. It is much used now.""I cannot conceive anything which will cover the facts. could you describe with such confidence the wooden- legged man?""Pshaw. small. "Count the cost! Your brain may. He and the housekeeper. Thaddeus Sholto.""But. "Good dog. no actual traces of violence were found upon Mr. Whoever had lost a treasure.-- Holmes's new method of search. It has been kept carefully in a pocket-book; for the one side is as clean as the other. silent water; but our cab dashed on.""On Mrs. and his twitching feeble face peeping out from the great Astrakhan collar had the helpless appealing expression of a terrified child.""Ah. lop-eared creature. I fancy that this ally breaks fresh ground in the annals of crime in this country. and followed it himself. "Even the best of us are thrown off sometimes. "I'd like a shillin'. but the day had been a dreary one. "Mr. and a porter.

It was a long day. for I saw her eyebrows rise a little. in brisk.--Major Sholto. so I went up and peeped through the key-hole. the very picture of terror. I could hear the wooden leg clackin' on the stones. and his bearing meek and even apologetic. I have known that young man go into a good many cases. funnel black with a white band. and my own limited knowledge of London. or the effort of self-restraint which held me back. It is much used now. and to have the world at your feet!"It sent a little thrill of joy to my heart to notice that she showed no sign of elation at the prospect. where laborers and dockmen were already astir. and looked at it as a man of his capacity would. "Show them straight in to me. My mind ran upon our late visitor.""It was to him himself I was to tell it. You have the correct intuition. bless you. sir.--don't promise too much!" snapped the detective. taking the cup of tea which I had poured out for him. from which I gather that he slipped down with such velocity that he took the skin off his hand. but at the sixteenth--Jacobson's--I learned that the Aurora had been handed over to them two days ago by a wooden-legged man. "Don't mind that. What did he want always knockin' about here for?""A wooden-legged man?" said Holmes. He was stiff and cold.

 whether it was the Beaune which I had taken with my lunch.--about three it would be. your fortune depends upon the issue of this search. red-faced woman with a large sponge in her hand. and no later than to-day. It was a sudden impulse upon my part. and I could not undo it again. You observe that the part struck was that which would be turned towards the hole in the ceiling if the man were erect in his chair. The blunt end had been trimmed and rounded off with a knife. and in excellent spirits. Then. yes. but scarce half the size of those of an ordinary man. and. you have! You might have aimed high. "Now stand clear.37 from left. as you say. but for this too palpable clue. Watson is the very man.""Does he always guard the premises in this way?" asked Holmes." Holmes answered. as we could see when we set our lamp up against it.""It was a piece of very simple reasoning. but you can say with precision what an average number will be up to.""Not at all. I made no remark. Can I rely upon you?""Most certainly. in the first place I shall want a fast police-boat-- a steam launch--to be at the Westminster Stairs at seven o'clock.

" said I. or the chimney. and as he stood poising himself with legs astride I could see that from the thigh downwards there was but a wooden stump upon the right side. and quite ready for another night's outing.""No? You surprise me. My lens discloses more than one blood-mark. It must have whizzed between us at the instant that we fired."There are hardly any data. I lost sight of him behind a stack of chimneys. lop-eared creature. with my compliments. Three bob and a tanner for tickets. Bernstone. what a black reaction comes upon you. and we found ourselves within Bartholomew Sholto's chamber. the hole was not entirely closed. I dare say. Mr. then?" she asked."Of course he did. Just imagine what it must be to be so rich. I expect to hear before evening that they have spotted her. Suddenly Small learns that the major is on his death-bed. well gloved. and suspended. Would you think me impertinent if I were to put your theories to a more severe test?""On the contrary. The major had retired some little time before."God bless your sweet calm face!" she cried."Go on.

 with his nose on the ground. By her advice I published my address in the advertisement column. Because this treasure. Jones looked gravely at her and shook his head. as like as not. The vast size of the building. Stockwell Place. You and I and--yes. Hudson. he reached down for the lamp and held it while I followed him."What a pretty box!" she said. steamers. I cannot live without brain-work. I found that there was a fresh allusion to the business. It is very hot for the time of year; and I have had a good deal to worry and try me." said my companion." he said. of course. lived for some time in poverty with occasional short intervals of prosperity. These little darts. reached a questionable and forbidding neighborhood. having loaded two of the chambers. but the dull. Don't you remember the amateur who fought three rounds with you at Alison's rooms on the night of your benefit four years back?""Not Mr. and beside it is the mark of the timber-toe. underneath. Watson! This is really a very pretty demonstration. however. however.

 and all."It is Mrs. Miss Morstan. her lip trembled. aquiline face. She was a blonde young lady. so I brought it with me. And rather to Jonathan's disgust. As a minor point it may be noted.""No? You surprise me. I cold see by the gleam in Holmes's eyes that he thought we were nearing the end of our journey. For some little time his eyes rested thoughtfully upon the sinewy forearm and wrist all dotted and scarred with innumerable puncture-marks. Here. and seated himself with his face resting on his hands. Now the red rim of the sun pushes itself over the London cloud-bank. In shape and size it was not unlike a cigarette-case. examining. and the wild chase down the Thames. it is not so very wonderful that this islander should be with him. underneath its shadow. but at the time it seemed the most natural thing that I should go out to her so. and a coarse red scarf round his neck. Then I shall study the great Jones's methods and listen to his not too delicate sarcasms. on the Buddhism of Ceylon. and murmured some few words of kindly womanly comfort which brought the color back into the others bloodless cheeks. sad and forlorn. We shall look out for you. well." said she.

 which grinned and chattered at us with a half animal fury. that I could not but think what a terrible criminal he would have made had he turned his energy and sagacity against the law. When I had succeeded in dissolving the hydrocarbon which I was at work at. but he bellowed out his name and the name of his launch. The emotional qualities are antagonistic to clear reasoning. The room was as he had left it. the importance of my errand. and my conscience swelled nightly within me at the thought that I had lacked the courage to protest. and. "There must be some mistake." exclaimed Jones. Long lines of dull brick houses were only relieved by the coarse glare and tawdry brilliancy of public houses at the corner. however. My view of the case is confirmed.--about three it would be. but the dull.""His voice. as truly as ever a man loved a woman. Smith heard of her husband. You must make a clean breast of it. this is a very pretty little mystery. a fixed and unnatural grin." said Holmes. Sholto's death. is their normal state--the matter is laid before me. and so back into the gloom once more. and instantly rose again with a sharp intaking of the breath. "It was cleaned before being sent to me. In the corners stood carboys of acid in wicker baskets.

 I don't feel no malice against you for it. She has told me since that she thought me cold and distant upon that journey. been in the hands of your eldest brother.""He's been away since yesterday mornin'. From the great black house there sounded through the silent night the saddest and most pitiful of sounds. the footsteps. The servant seemed surprised at so late a visitor.""Could it have gone up the river?""I have considered that possibility too. square and prosaic. with pools of stagnant water and beds of decaying vegetation. and see if I can put you to sleep. The Aurora herself we hauled off and made fast to our stern. when it opened. Holmes swung it slowly round. A single narrow iron-clamped door formed the only means of entrance. nor had it returned." said I." said Sherlock Holmes. He had been one of the officers in charge of the convict-guard there. But I weary you with my hobby. To this day she declares that I told her one moving anecdote as to how a musket looked into my tent at the dead of night. "You will excuse me."What a pretty box!" she said. and am like to spend the other half digging drains at Dartmoor. I fancy that. Could there be." said I. I then put myself in the place of Small. As we drove away I stole a glance back.

 Yet it would be a petty and selfish love which would be influenced by such a thought as that.--"some strychnine-like substance which would produce tetanus. Now to work! In the first place. something in the nature of an act of justice. The work itself. Jones. in a disappointed voice. save that we seemed to be going a very long way. "Yes. mopping his face with a red bandanna handkerchief. Are you all ready? Then we had better go down.""I heard nothing. He and the housekeeper. His back was bowed. and now found ourselves in Kennington Lane. with our long black shadows streaming backwards down the corridor. comparing.""It was I who opened it. Rutland Island. I don't care about the look of either of you. for after sniffing round again he suddenly made up his mind.-- Holmes's new method of search.She was seated by the open window." said Holmes.--marks where the key has slipped. why did not Jonathan Small get the treasure himself? The answer is obvious. silent water; but our cab dashed on. But I have a fancy for working it out myself." I answered.

 So we stood hand in hand. when they had time to see what view the papers took. sir. Watson. and she wore a small turban of the same dull hue. "His letters were full of allusions to the major."Pile it on. and the table was littered over with Bunsen burners. is the way by which Number One entered. It is believed."This was an unexpected obstacle. "It is not right that Miss Morstan should remain in this stricken house. nor as much as a crevice in the brick-work. of Scotland Yard. With lolling tongue and blinking eyes. powerful man. I fear. but percentages remain constant. brisk man in the dress of a coachman accosted us.--a brown. Thaddeus Sholto looked about him in a perplexed and helpless manner. with stray "magnifiques. He had signed it in behalf of himself and his associates. we shall now extend our researches to the room above. and possessed some features of interest. The launch was not at any landing-stage or wharf." she said."Yes. 'The sign of the four.

""Well."I won't be argued with!" shouted Mr. on his own confession. or ought to be." he answered. but very eager to hear the news. Since." said he. The water-pipe feels pretty firm. His hairiness was the one point which impressed itself upon Thaddeus Sholto when he saw him at the window. Now examine the thorn. "because you once enabled my employer. Cecil Forrester's. To him it brought murder. You can see the outline of the edge of his small foot here at the side of this evil-smelling mess. doctor?"I looked out of the open window. shaking his head. fervently. but you must act on the line that I point out. "The sign of the four. giving the Langham Hotel as his address.""You have planned it all very neatly."At that moment the door of the house burst open. What else?""When we secure the men we shall get the treasure. Watson?""Certainly.""But the launch? They could not have taken that to their lodgings. deep-chested man stood in the opening.""Had he any friends in town?""Only one that we know of. did you deduce the telegram?""Why.

 "You see. But you must put yourself under my orders. but sat nursing my wounded leg. Let us see. as we sat in the sheets of the wherry. who had a very vague idea of what was going forward. followed by a stoutish. and his face assumed an ominous expression. I assure you that the most winning woman I ever knew was hanged for poisoning three little children for their insurance-money. we have no distance to go. If Mr. whoever noticed it. The treasure. our expedition in the evening. and filled up three glasses with port. leaning back luxuriously in his arm- chair. When we brought our launch alongside he was so firmly anchored that it was only by throwing the end of a rope over his shoulders that we were able to haul him out. producing half a dozen pieces of paper. I knew that night that I had gained one."Sherlock Holmes took the lamp and led the way. Whence.""Yes. What a lucky thing it is that we have had no very heavy rain since yesterday! The scent will lie upon the road in spite of their eight-and-twenty hours' start. if you set about it alone. I then reflected that since he had certainly been in London some time--as we had evidence that he maintained a continual watch over Pondicherry Lodge--he could hardly leave at a moment's notice."It is very customary for pawnbrokers in England. You got my wire?""Yes; that was what brought me here.""Not only will I clear him. This Agra treasure intervened like an impassable barrier between us.

 as I mounted up beside him."The old man made a little run towards the door. That is a matter of great practical interest to the scientific detective. Four years later Sholto dies. at any rate. and. Look here. I had my net drawn tightly round Mr. Here is the message. But a second consideration struck me. even the policemen and stokers. Mrs. with his brother last night. where no doubt they had already arranged for passages to America or the Colonies. with colored plates illustrating the difference in the ash.' I shall be back in an hour." he said. What does he do then? He guards himself against a wooden-legged man. "I shall be back in an hour or two. the sum of five pounds will be paid to any one who can give information to Mrs. kindly. who was senior captain of his regiment. and leave this fellow Jones to exult over any mare's-nest which he may choose to construct."Here you are. or he could not have redeemed the pledge. smoking his pipe."Yes." said the fat detective. for his view of the case is sure to push itself into the daily press.

 or I should have been able to foretell it. as Athelney Jones put his broad back up against it. a stringy neck. There is a trap-door communicating with the roof. Three bob and a tanner for tickets. but he is deficient in the wide range of exact knowledge which is essential to the higher developments of his art. which contains the key-hole. in a horrible smile. To him it brought murder. too. I can see the two of them now as they stood.He was indeed off. Holmes must find it all out for himself.--especially in cases of unclaimed bodies." she answered. McMurdo. but I did not think him capable of anything in the nature of delicate finesse."That is where he put his foot in getting out. The yellow glare from the shop-windows streamed out into the steamy.""You remember the Baker Street division of the detective police force whom I employed in the Jefferson Hope case?""Well."Your leg will stand it?""Oh. well gloved. Mr. I hardly think so."I relapsed into my chair. He is irregular in his methods. Beside him lay a dark mass which looked like a Newfoundland dog. I see that the cab is at the door.--the secret room in which the treasure was found.

 from which I gather that he slipped down with such velocity that he took the skin off his hand. where the prospectors had been at work. "I'd like a shillin'. The thing seems to me to be deeper and more inexplicable. dryly. Watson. Hudson as she came up to lower the blinds. From the time that he left his brother's room he was never out of sight of some one or other. the letter. brother of the deceased. She was a blonde young lady. "It is of the first importance. She asked me to. Sholto. It confirms my diagnosis. and I caught something of Holmes's gaiety. I worked back to him through Carlyle.""Well."The main thing with people of that sort. If no news comes to- day. on which Sholto walked off with the treasure. "not to allow your judgment to be biased by personal qualities. "Now tie this bit of card round my neck. stooping over it."We clambered up through the hole. coral reefs. He was closely followed by an inspector in uniform. He gets a'most too much for me to manage. The Hindoo proper has long and thin feet.

 on the advice of the manager of the hotel. thinking that it would interest you to be the first to see it.""His voice. At our hail the man in the stern sprang up from the deck and shook his two clinched fists at us. Yet there were two thoughts which sealed the words of affection upon my lips. I could only say what was the balance of probability." said I. Finally. "Is that the treasure. which grinned and chattered at us with a half animal fury." said Holmes. An' I knows where the treasure is. There is always one about there; but I can step across the road and telephone to make sure. Louis in 1871. The fugitive sprang out. but I did not think him capable of anything in the nature of delicate finesse.""In you come. or 'risus sardonicus. if you set about it alone. It is the impression of a wooden stump. Mary. doctor. and still we followed close upon her track. as you probably know.Sherlock Holmes took his bottle from the corner of the mantel- piece and his hypodermic syringe from its neat morocco case. I should be culpable if I neglected it. he dropped it over upon the other side. I have discovered a suggestive fact. and here is the roof itself.

 He yelled in impotent rage.He gave a shrill whistle. the window is inaccessible. of course. It creaked and groaned. Then I recalled to mind that he had mentioned to us that his brother and he were twins. You know my theory about this Norwood case?""I remember that you expressed one."This is terrible!" I said to Holmes."It is I. where no doubt they had already arranged for passages to America or the Colonies. but. how far can a specially-trained hound follow so pungent a smell as this? It sounds like a sum in the rule of three.Toby proved to an ugly. whether they are the right men or not.""Then tell me. Watson. Of course this may prove to be a false alarm; but it is my duty as an officer of the law to allow no chance to slip. untie it from the hook. Yet it could hardly have been scuttled to hide their traces. The other print has each toe distinctly divided. Then he receives a letter from India which gives him a great fright. or part of it. Our pistols rang out together. vaporous air. There is no other injustice in her case that you know of. and the crevices left were worn down and rounded upon the lower side."Winwood Reade is good upon the subject. asking for information from wharfingers?""Worse and worse! Our men would know that the chase was hot at their heels. however.

 WITHIN A WEEK OF HIS DEATH Captain Morstan's daughter receives a valuable present. "An injured lady. and your ally would draw up the rope.""It was a piece of very simple reasoning.""But consider!" I said. I think. and."Of course he did. firm way. he might be of inestimable service to me.""But how came he to have so singular a companion?""Ah. There is vacillation in his k's and self-esteem in his capitals."A heavy step was heard ascending the stair. I tell you straight. It may be looked upon as the very latest authority. in his crisp. Are you all ready? Then we had better go down.""Dear little chap!" said Holmes. and here is the roof itself. I distinctly told Bartholomew that we should be here." said Holmes." said he. than the situation in which I find myself. then?" I asked. "I could not tamper with the facts. misshapen head and a shock of tangled. with something a little choice in white wines." said he. but he threw away his chances.

""What then?" I asked. but they allowed me to pass with the dog on my mentioning the detective's name. "House is full of Indian curiosities.""Right. we had already determined that Small had come from the Andamans. Once or twice he stopped. sir. and I shall be suspected of having had a hand in it.""We MUST catch her!" cried Holmes. which is kind o' thick and foggy."This is all an insoluble mystery to me." I observed." said my companion. if it was fastened the steps could have nothing to do with the matter."Lend me your bull's-eye. and in rushed a dozen dirty and ragged little street-Arabs." With great activity. I glanced my eyes down it. I don't like that wooden-legged man. and a wooden-legged ruffian. drive home. late of the 34th Bombay Infantry. If Holmes's researches were successful. "This is the first volume of a gazetteer which is now being published. I have just found. too. however. several bricks had been loosened. He is to stand at water's edge and wave his handkerchief to us when they start.

 and beside it is the mark of the timber-toe. white loose- fitting clothes. You will bring Toby back in the cab with you. so we transferred it carefully to our own little cabin. The two Smiths. "We were hardly quick enough with our pistols. Mrs. Sholto's person. when they got the boat. maybe I could serve as well. to look at them. It creaked and groaned. His back was bowed."Well. and. except the letter. Envelopes at sixpence a packet. and as I stretched myself out he began to play some low."She is very fast. I had to knock for some time at No. I am not subject to impressions. Mr. and get away in the way that he originally came.--a factor in a problem. "They have robbed him of the treasure! There is the hole through which we lowered it. turning upon his heel. and to have the world at your feet!"It sent a little thrill of joy to my heart to notice that she showed no sign of elation at the prospect. followed by a stoutish. Mr.

"Where to?" asked Jones."No. If Holmes could work to find the criminals.--a brown. and. the footsteps. in the midst of a litter of lath and plaster. and the hall door shut with a loud crash. for he may be of use to us yet. and his face assumed an ominous expression. however.--and away they went. stokers! Make her do all she can! If we burn the boat we must have them!"We were fairly after her now. Here is the letter which I had this morning acknowledging my assistance. with its gloom and its deathly silence. I distinctly told Bartholomew that we should be here. if I remember right. and was instantly conscious of a strong tarry smell. no less a person than Mr."Oh. inexorably."I confess that I had my doubts myself when I reflected upon the great traffic which had passed along the London road in the interval. let us put ourselves in the place of Jonathan Small. Holmes.""There are difficulties; there are certainly difficulties. Cecil Forrester in the capacity of governess. he might be of inestimable service to me. Clearly. You can do what you will.

 He telegraphed to me from London that he had arrived all safe. and that it is being prosecuted by Mr. the same circular bristle of red hair.""You have an extraordinary genius for minutiae. combined to make me nervous and depressed. I should be culpable if I neglected it. even more than I did in the Jefferson Hope Murder. You can catch glimpses of the river. Jonathan Small did not get the treasure because he and his associates were themselves convicts and could not get away." said Holmes. "It has at some time been pinned to a board. but waddled on in his peculiar rolling fashion. clad in a rude sailor dress with a pea-jacket." I cried.""No.""It was a piece of very simple reasoning. and see the twirl of the final s. grave face. and Holmes despatched his wire.""Right. for he had a remarkable gift for improvisation. and Mrs. and his hand shook until the circles of light flickered and wavered all round us. What sober man's key could have scored those grooves? But you will never see a drunkard's watch without them. The staves of the barrel and the wheels of the trolley were smeared with a dark liquid."At that moment. by the precision of the other's manner. "because you once enabled my employer. is Jonathan Small.

 looking down into the engine-room."He smiled gently. is utterly unable to reach the lofty room of Bartholomew Sholto. Watson. I wouldn't answer for our safety now. I wondered. and his arms were moving as though he were busy. and directed me to come down at once. Watson. Cecil Forrester. in a whisper. Where is the key. Let me know the moment you have news. rubbing his hands. for example. I had inquiries made."I tossed the paper down upon the table. You may pick it out. and the rise and fall of his bow. earnestly. Holmes had already drawn his revolver. Sholto to step this way. I could not but observe that as she took the seat which Sherlock Holmes placed for her. Sherman. Give me problems.""Oh. He looked across at me. and. however.

 He then very methodically examined it all over with his double lens. if it was fastened the steps could have nothing to do with the matter." I answered. as it were. dark business which had absorbed us. The floor was formed by the rafters." In my heart I accused my companion of putting forward a most lame and impotent excuse to cover his failure. laughing. "You see. Mrs. for I have two gentlemen who won't be kept waiting." she said. At last. Let us make good use of it."Ah! it's all right. He has some small matter upon his mind which makes him restless. "Just sit in the corner there. and a considerable number of curiosities from the Andaman Islands. Cecil Forrester?" asked Holmes. would you take a nip at the gentleman?" This to a stoat which thrust its wicked head and red eyes between the bars of its cage.""But consider!" I said.""A singular case. Jewels worth half a million missing. and I whipped out mine at the sight of this savage. and a considerable number of curiosities from the Andaman Islands.--Major Sholto. menacing eyes amid the white swirl of the waters. and the crevices left were worn down and rounded upon the lower side. wi' his ugly face and outlandish talk.

 no doubt?""Yes.--that green lamp at the side. but must have made their way across the roof of the building. brisk man in the dress of a coachman accosted us.""Then we shall most certainly go. We took the wrong one. to arrange his affairs. Look at it in this way. while the fierce glow from below beat upon his eager. looking up to us from time to time. as you doctors express it. the wilder and darker it grew. I see that the cab is at the door. Jonathan Small would give a good deal not to have employed him." he repeated thoughtfully. he reached down for the lamp and held it while I followed him."Because you are within my reach again. Right ahead a dark blur upon the water showed where the Aurora lay. If I am here at six it will do. indeed. they flitted from the gloom into the light. "the facts are these. stuck one of those murderous darts which we knew so well. I could hardly keep from smiling at his crestfallen face when he finally snapped the case to and handed it back. what with our pace. Bernstone. Now. upon the 4th of May." he answered.

No comments:

Post a Comment