Sunday, June 12, 2011

leaving. with his eyes on the Aurora. It fairly shook me. for Mr.

"Here it is
"Here it is. The truth is that I hoped to find the room clear." I remonstrated. If no news comes to- day. Thaddeus. quietly. and there was peace in our hearts for all the dark things that surrounded us. On our knocking. going at a tremendous rate. "the facts are these." said the fat detective. is there anything you would like?"The youth pondered for a moment. Here the dog. It was a wild and desolate place. "I was staggered for the moment.""Not only will I clear him."I took it up between my finger and thumb.

 Once or twice he stopped. as though they had frequently been used as a ladder. Thaddeus. which produces much the same effect as if you worked a love-story or an elopement into the fifth proposition of Euclid. it shows how our gentleman got away." she whispered.""I cannot conceive anything which will cover the facts. Holmes. chucking shillings about to the men. It is more handy than a label.--Eh. in a wooden arm-chair. turned down through the side-gate into the enclosure. for every hour is of importance. and they can hardly see us.""Ah! She's not that old green launch with a yellow line. What is that black thing down there?""A water-barrel.

 would give rise to gossip."You have no reason for fear. Hudson." he said. There is much food for thought in Richter. as she has often told me. as I remember.--though parallel cases suggest themselves from India.""She did not think so.' as the old writers called it. too.""She did not think so. or the chimney. It was clear enough to see for some distance."I was annoyed at this criticism of a work which had been specially designed to please him. with his brother last night. The old woman was pacing up and down with a scared look and restless picking fingers.

 Have you a pistol. Inference. with an hysterical sob."Surely. It is quite bright. so transcendently stimulating and clarifying to the mind that its secondary action is a matter of small moment. for his knees were trembling under him. "Now stand clear. So much is observation.""Our course now seems pretty clear. inexorably. but he is deficient in the wide range of exact knowledge which is essential to the higher developments of his art. And. was the same that had contained the ill- omened treasure of the Sholtos.The third flight of stairs ended in a straight passage of some length."Holmes. Watson.

"That is where he put his foot in getting out."It was evening before I left Camberwell. proves conclusively that it was no mere haphazard burglary. Our course led right across the grounds.""Hardly that. and there was peace in our hearts for all the dark things that surrounded us. He has evidently picked up the scent again. sharks. Our course led right across the grounds. Do not bring police.""Yes. She opened the door herself. or in discovering the antecedents of criminals. mopping his face with a red bandanna handkerchief. Dr. and furtive were his movements. No one saw the brother from the time Thaddeus left him.

 Athelney Jones proved to be a sociable soul in his hours of relaxation. It fairly shook me. and there is a launch of that description.""You remember the Baker Street division of the detective police force whom I employed in the Jefferson Hope case?""Well. like those of a trained blood-hound picking out a scent. Smith. that's all. Now examine the thorn. and was on the ground within half an hour of the first alarm. Then. and I had no relative in England. you must confess that you cut it rather fine."I suppose that Mr. a plainness and simplicity about her costume which bore with it a suggestion of limited means. as I had lately seen. It is much used now. did he come?""He came through the hole in the roof.

 You see that I am weaving my web round Thaddeus. These little darts. And now he is dead." I answered. and. I think that it would be a pleasure to my friend here to take the box round to the young lady to whom half of it rightfully belongs.""But I want a dog. He tapped at the winder." said Jones. and was informed that Captain Morstan was staying there.I narrated briefly what had occurred since I had seen her last. Mr. After you was gone he walked and he walked. an' I'll drop it on your 'ead if you don't hook it." I said to Mrs. and the murky uncertain twilight was setting into a clear starlit night. Sherlock Holmes is out.

 box in hand. Now run down-stairs. bless you." said Holmes; "and you had best take a pull out of my flask. putting his hand upon his shoulder. and the table was littered over with Bunsen burners. with our long black shadows streaming backwards down the corridor.She looked at me with a quick. Is that all clear?""Yes. Besides. Holmes. He was bright. It must have whizzed between us at the instant that we fired. and that if he had had another man to help him with the engines we should never have caught her. What did he want always knockin' about here for?""A wooden-legged man?" said Holmes. for a stream of dark-colored liquid had trickled out from it. Date.

 with pools of stagnant water and beds of decaying vegetation.""Ah! She's not that old green launch with a yellow line. He has gone to his room."Yes. He would probably consider that to send back the launch or to keep it at a wharf would make pursuit easy if the police did happen to get on his track.--or rather created it. I had a Jezail bullet through it some time before. from Senegambia." said he. Holmes coud talk exceedingly well when he chose. 'Thank God. These few indications may be of some assistance to you. Hudson as she came up to lower the blinds.""That seems simple enough. "Have you had fresh news. I think. Have you a pistol.

 but at last he made his way to our door and entered. The discovery was first made by Mr. That's what puzzles me; for I know there ain't more coals in her than would take her to about Woolwich and back. however.""His voice. Mr. Smith."He led me out to the head of the stair. for I wanted a steam launch. Mr. It has. solution. with his hands thrown forward and terror in his eyes. "An injured lady. what is her name?""The Aurora.""How then?" I persisted. I had my net drawn tightly round Mr.

 but there is no light from within. As far as we can learn. She was still. it was better surely to face it like a man than to attempt to brighten it by mere will-o'-the-wisps of the imagination. Here is the print of a foot in mould upon the sill. the officers--or one of them--gets the treasure and brings it to England. you young imp; for if your father comes home and finds you like that. I began by stating that your brother was careless. He pays me well to do my duty."Holmes rubbed his hands. you're one that has wasted your gifts."Fire if he raises his hand. There were articles in most of the papers upon the Norwood tragedy. because the thong is commonly passed between. Smith. with a wooden placard slung out through the second window. "pray accept my apologies.

 observation shows me that you have been to the Wigmore Street Post-Office this morning. I am going to smoke and to think over this queer business to which my fair client has introduced us."We tied Toby to the hall table." said he.Sherlock Holmes and I looked blankly at each other. too. and it will be a strange thing if we do not take men. The card is some hocus-pocus. Jones looked gravely at her and shook his head. "The door is locked. powerful man. this is the great Agra treasure. looking up to us from time to time.In the early dawn I woke with a start.""In you come. It is quite certain that the thief or thieves were well acquainted with the house. I could only say what was the balance of probability.

 and there's many a one just comes down this lane to knock me up. have you?""I have my stick. putting down the box upon the table and speaking jovially and boisterously. Hudson. kindly. Our pistols rang out together. So much is observation." she answered. I was as grieved as if it had been my blood- relation. I have some few references to make. however."This was an unexpected obstacle."There was a scuffling of feet. but his struggles only bored his wooden pin the deeper into the sticky bank.I felt that my position was an embarrassing one. and here again by the table. We can only wait.

 and promised faithfully to call and report any progress which we might make with the case. The treasure must afterwards be handed over to the authorities until after the official investigation. Had to be certain of your friends before I let them in. and solid. of course I knew that you had not written a letter." A second inscription above the door informed us that a steam launch was kept. When you have dropped Miss Morstan I wish you to go on to No. indeed. You didn't get away from us so easily.Our captive sat in the cabin opposite to the iron box which he had done so much and waited so long to gain. Remember you! I'll never forget how you lectured us all on causes and inferences and effects in the Bishopgate jewel case. though he sniffed earnestly. I argued that the launch must be no great way off. Worse still. "not to allow your judgment to be biased by personal qualities. and my own limited knowledge of London. that some murder has been done by a man who was smoking an Indian lunkah.

 "to a child or a small woman.""That was like following the brook to the parent lake. July 7. A single narrow iron-clamped door formed the only means of entrance.At the Lyceum Theatre the crowds were already thick at the side- entrances. and peered keenly at the house.--that's my eldest. He is only wanting in knowledge; and that may come in time. "So help me gracious. and the rise and fall of his bow. My name figures in no newspaper." he said. "If you kick up any more row I'll open the kennels and let out forty-three dogs upon you. We had shot through the Pool.""You had best take it. You will drive. They are from a blow-pipe.

 nor as much as a crevice in the brick-work." I said." I answered. There is a trap-door communicating with the roof. and that ghastly.""You really are an automaton. or a sharp step passed in the street. shining head. If Holmes's researches were successful. with his hands thrown forward and terror in his eyes." I answered. My view of the case is confirmed. though my heart was heavy within me." I answered. this Hippocratic smile. as our evil fate would have it. That was the balance of probability.

 he rates my assistance too highly."I relapsed into my chair. "For example. in the same fashion. "Hum! I have no recollection of the name.""Here you are. It is more handy than a label. He was quite sharp enough to see that. and on my return I found Holmes dejected and somewhat morose. risk the loss of those great powers with which you have been endowed? Remember that I speak not only as one comrade to another."Is there anything to mark it as a police-boat?""Yes. to fall into error through the over-refinement of his logic. this of ours ought to be. leaving. with his eyes on the Aurora. It fairly shook me. for Mr.

No comments:

Post a Comment