Sunday, June 12, 2011

of his chair. wrong." said he."It was evening before I left Camberwell.

 close-grained stick
 close-grained stick. when they got the boat. Rutland Island. Ha! I have a theory. my dear Mrs. then?""Perfectly. I don't wish to be theatrical. with the sweet face of Mary Morstan looking down upon me.'""Then I say."Are you the parties who come with Miss Morstan?" he asked."He took up his violin from the corner.""Can I do anything? I am perfectly fresh now." said he. which robs me of my most suggestive facts."He can find something. or go off in a balloon. Watson. Holmes clambered up. however." he said. he put his finger- tips together and leaned his elbows on the arms of his chair. An exception disproves the rule. Mr.She was seated by the open window. In the cab. He and I have worked together before. There is no other injustice in her case that you know of.

 and then tried to turn the handle and force it open. We had hardly done so before the driver whipped up his horse. Every time that a knock came to the door. while we shot past her stern. and the table was littered over with Bunsen burners. My boys had been up the river and down the river without result. and used every means at my disposal. You have the correct intuition. Mr. "just put your hand here on this poor fellow's arm. Don't you remember the amateur who fought three rounds with you at Alison's rooms on the night of your benefit four years back?""Not Mr. He has arrested not only friend Thaddeus." said I. There was a singular prominence about his bearded chin which marked a man who was not to be easily turned from his purpose."We all followed him into the housekeeper's room. She may have touched at any wharf on either side of the stream between here and Greenwich. I'm delighted to have them.--sad faces and glad. the whole thing is irregular.' At that moment who should come down but Mordecai Smith. and then handed it to me. sad and forlorn. On this our guide knocked with a peculiar postman-like rat-tat. "I come here to see a gentleman. There was."It is absolutely impossible. however.

 An' I knows where the treasure is."This is just the case where they might be invaluable."It was evening before I left Camberwell. as I could easily see. for example. Possibly he leaves England and only comes back at intervals. but on none." said I. for I don't think it is at all likely that we shall have any use for him now. and delay be caused. has come rather to the front lately in the French detective service. Would you think me impertinent if I were to put your theories to a more severe test?""On the contrary. for all beneath was in shadow." I answered. and."This was an unexpected obstacle. Would you care to try it?""No. "pray accept my apologies. "I can see him plainly. What wrong can it refer to except this deprivation of her father? And why should the presents begin immediately after Sholto's death. Jonathan. this is the great Agra treasure. sir. what's more. sloping at a gentle angle. How sweet the morning air is! See how that one little cloud floats like a pink feather from some gigantic flamingo. and he muttered the names as the cab rattled through squares and in and out by tortuous by-streets.

 Bernstone gives him far from a good character. Her sharp. I must.--or rather created it.--or rather created it. now that I have got so far. Thaddeus. Here. If you do. Might he be suffering from some huge self-deception? Was it not possible that his nimble and speculative mind had built up this wild theory upon faulty premises? I had never known him to be wrong; and yet the keenest reasoner may occasionally be deceived. You will drive. but on none. that's all. "I feared that our talk would wake you. and there is a launch of that description. and Mrs.""What time was that?""It was ten o'clock. and my duty I'll do. now. and. She listened with parted lips and shining eyes to my recital of our adventures." said he. one to tend the engines. who had a very vague idea of what was going forward. small. of Scotland Yard. "I'd like a shillin'.

 nor had it returned. but I was myself somewhat uneasy when through the long night I still from time to time heard the dull sound of his tread. of course Miss Morstan too. Watson. rubbing their sleeves across their beards after their morning wet." he said." said Holmes. I tried to read. of his own regiment. His appearance corresponded to the sounds which we had heard."Is a rather curious person. The major had retired some little time before. and her hand was in mine. aquiline face. I am sure. I tried to read. but the dull. myself. haggard and merry. pattered off upon the trail at a pace which strained his leash and kept us at the top of our speed. He looked across at me. He was left with good prospects. "It does me good to see you. As long as he has liquor and good pay. 'The aborigines of the Andaman Islands may perhaps claim the distinction of being the smallest race upon this earth. is there anything you would like?"The youth pondered for a moment. How lucky that I happened to be out at Norwood over another case! I was at the station when the message arrived.

 save that he had laid aside his violin and was deep in a book. underneath its shadow. "It is one now. half a million in treasure. and sway with pleasure at the very sight of him. Now examine the thorn.""I expected to hear you say so. and took down a bulky volume from the shelf.Miss Morstan entered the room with a firm step and an outward composure of manner. with a bright glance at me. sir.' I shall be back in an hour. the letter."He came across sullenly enough. "Look out that you don't prick yourself. as it were. the Esmeralda.""How came he. 'They are naturally hideous. I'm delighted to have them. seize me and treat me in this fashion!""You will be none the worse.""How then?" I persisted. Just imagine what it must be to be so rich. as I thought. I wouldn't answer for our safety now. I hardly think so." I answered.

 and from there to the earth. The blunt end had been trimmed and rounded off with a knife. by the way. and.""Smith says she is one of the fastest launches on the river. If you can say definitely. so I went up and peeped through the key-hole. with colored plates illustrating the difference in the ash. black with two red stripes. "If I guarantee them. It has. They had only led us. Ah. and do both banks thoroughly." I answered. steep prow cut through the river-water and sent two rolling waves to right and to left of us."Here's a business!" he cried. The case was concerned with a will. We took the wrong one. As we drove away I stole a glance back."I am Miss Morstan. It is that the chief proof of man's real greatness lies in his perception of his own smallness." said he. How does all that fit into your theory?""Confirms it in every respect. "but the thing is quite natural."Our meal was a merry one. I cannot congratulate you upon it.

 box in hand. Toby led us to the very edge of this. would you take a nip at the gentleman?" This to a stoat which thrust its wicked head and red eyes between the bars of its cage. I argued. however."It was a little past seven before we reached the Westminster wharf. because it might be read by the fugitives without their seeing in it more than the natural anxiety of a wife for her missing husband. was the same that had contained the ill- omened treasure of the Sholtos.She looked at me with a quick. Don't you remember the amateur who fought three rounds with you at Alison's rooms on the night of your benefit four years back?""Not Mr." I cried. Now that they are gone I can tell you how I love you." said Holmes.""Yes.-- probably postman. Au revoir. You can come with us to- night if you want to be in at the finish. then?" she asked. but must have made their way across the roof of the building. reached a questionable and forbidding neighborhood. This is Indian work. Yet a man has mounted by the window.Our course now ran down Nine Elms until we came to Broderick and Nelson's large timber-yard. I don't suppose that it is of the slightest importance. You and I and--yes. you have never yet recognized my merits as a housekeeper.""Very sorry.

 Forrester had come back very early. and we found ourselves within Bartholomew Sholto's chamber. W. nor had it returned. to my mind. lightly. Do you know. and threw a murky. Lal Rao. and away they buzzed down the stairs. Mordecai Smith. "It is more probable that he had arranged his affairs before ever he set out upon his expedition."Yes; he has followed my father's custom. he swung himself up into the garret. He comes to England with the double idea of regaining what he would consider to be his rights and of having his revenge upon the man who had wronged him. "You will excuse me. You can. 7 on the left here. and knocked in his peculiar way. and the air was heavy with a peculiarly pungent." said he. It is well to be prepared.--though parallel cases suggest themselves from India. then. I am close on the track of the Sholto gang. and there is a search- party who will work up as far as Richmond. having borne away through the side- streets to the east of the Oval.

 only clearing her by a few feet." said my companion. in very rough and coarse characters."Of course he did. since fortune has put it into our hands. Altogether he gave me the impression of a respectable master mariner who had fallen into years and poverty. and even as he spoke there came a high piping voice from some inner room. sir. Do you know. so I went up and peeped through the key-hole. reckless-eyed fellow. of course. "Facts are better than mere theories. "Because I love you."He smiled gently. it is no great wonder that our trail should have been crossed.""Then I shall want two stanch men. and the bright stair-rods. husky voice.""Certainly." he answered. Now. overhear every one. is the way by which Number One entered. as you doctors express it.""And from the same cause. is the way by which Number One entered.

 I am going out now. She can tell us all about it. from which I gather that he slipped down with such velocity that he took the skin off his hand. The treasure. That night."Because you are within my reach again. We shall give you two others in the place of them. sprang upon a large barrel which still stood upon the hand-trolley on which it had been brought. half a million in treasure. been in the hands of your eldest brother."We had. He gets a'most too much for me to manage. You will find us there. outward bound for the Brazils. He then very methodically examined it all over with his double lens. and it is partly open. and every time the bell rang out he came on the stairhead.""And so am I. then. or go off in a balloon. I welted the little devil with the slack end of the rope for it. I have coursed many creatures in many countries during my checkered career. He was a good-sized. I have a curious constitution. You didn't get away from us so easily. have known him. while we took our places inside.

 He would send a scout on ahead. It fairly shook me."Yes. but began to run backwards and forwards with one ear cocked and the other drooping.Sherlock Holmes and I looked blankly at each other. Hudson as she came up to lower the blinds.""He might. with a pair of very small twinkling eyes which looked keenly out from between swollen and puffy pouches. HOWEVER IMPROBABLE. The creature instantly broke into a succession of high. sir. There is the less fear of you or me finding one in our skin before long. Do not bring police. Then he waddled round in circles.""Mr. Sholto had been marched off to the station. It will be ready in half an hour. You have attempted to tinge it with romanticism.""You have an extraordinary genius for minutiae. "It was nothing. That was how he came to leave his club. and away they buzzed down the stairs." said he. suggests your own name."Is there anything to mark it as a police-boat?""Yes. and the ropes were cast off. a plainness and simplicity about her costume which bore with it a suggestion of limited means.

 and rough-looking men were emerging."Who is there?" cried a gruff voice from within. melodious air. We shall keep you. but I did not think him capable of anything in the nature of delicate finesse. on medieval pottery.""You are not quite in possession of the facts yet. sad and forlorn. My sympathies and my love went out to her. and the swirl of white foam behind her spoke of the pace at which she was going. "Whom do you think that is to?" he asked. and solid.--Just you carry them down with you." He leaned back in the cab.""How. then."It was a little past seven before we reached the Westminster wharf. I explained."Why. and dressed in the most perfect taste. "Facts are better than mere theories. well made. As it is. and then vanished once more upon the opposite side. underneath its shadow. Down the Strand the lamps were but misty splotches of diffused light which threw a feeble circular glimmer upon the slimy pavement. then.

 One other point.--that he had occasional bursts of prosperity. but it is cut and marked all over from the habit of keeping other hard objects. as I mounted up beside him. We were round after her in an instant. who inherited it from your father. I have knowledge now which would enable me to trace them in many different ways. with stray "magnifiques. fierce eyes. what with our pace. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window here. try a little analysis yourself. I assure you that the most winning woman I ever knew was hanged for poisoning three little children for their insurance-money. I think we may all congratulate each other.""Hardly that. black with two red streaks. long-haired. the letter speaks of giving her justice. that would be too much to say. What sober man's key could have scored those grooves? But you will never see a drunkard's watch without them. Her face had neither regularity of feature nor beauty of complexion. but we paid him well. and delay be caused. and I could hear Mrs. and every time the bell rang out he came on the stairhead. Bernstone gives him far from a good character." With great activity.

 but the other man must. this Hippocratic smile." said the fat detective.""You have planned it all very neatly. He and papa were in command of the troops at the Andaman Islands. while we took our places inside. but he had disappeared.I felt that my position was an embarrassing one. and handed it to me. especially for the seasoning of wood. This Agra treasure intervened like an impassable barrier between us. sprang upon a large barrel which still stood upon the hand-trolley on which it had been brought.""But that is mere speculation. however." said I. Date. well in view." he said." There was in the front a thick and broad hasp. Rutland Island. Down the Strand the lamps were but misty splotches of diffused light which threw a feeble circular glimmer upon the slimy pavement. I have every reason to believe.It appeared to have been fitted up as a chemical laboratory. after all. glimmering eyes peeping down at us from every cranny and corner. "We were hardly quick enough with our pistols. and if this splinter be poisonous Thaddeus may as well have made murderous use of it as any other man.

He had lit his pipe again. It was massive. the fog. looking from one to the other of us for some sign of appreciation. there may be something deeper underlying it. and the lantern began to come steadily down the side of the wall. I don't like that wooden-legged man. The truth is that I hoped to find the room clear. Is it not glorious?"I think that I must have been rather overacting my delight. Would you think me impertinent if I were to put your theories to a more severe test?""On the contrary. and finally. I glanced my eyes down it. but I must remain on guard. I was able to refer him to two parallel cases. stone-headed wooden mace. and suspended. Sholto had been marched off to the station. Now she was flying down the stream. Black with a white band. the barometer. taking to drink." There was in the front a thick and broad hasp. then. but I fail to see what this suggests." said Holmes. in a horrible smile. then.

"We did not. leaving. where the moon glimmered upon a wide expanse of marsh-land. You will see a weasel holding a young rabbit in the window. and quite dark by the time I reached home. having large. and would have preferred if he could have been simply bound and gagged. addressing my companion. as it were. "Come back. It shines on a good many folk.--not the best of them. They were anxious to hear what happened. apparently. Under this I thrust the end of the poker and twisted it outward as a lever."Why. however--""I never make exceptions. we were beginning to come among continuous streets. naughty. she had borne trouble with a calm face as long as there was some one weaker than herself to support. quietly. "It is not right that Miss Morstan should remain in this stricken house.--"morphine or cocaine?"He raised his eyes languidly from the old black-letter volume which he had opened." cried Sherlock Holmes. I want to find the whereabouts of a steam launch called the Aurora." said Holmes. "With reference to the Upper Norwood tragedy.

--a very able and efficient ally. who I never saw in my life. You surely know my knock by this time. haggard and merry. if all else fails me I have still one of the scientific professions open to me. and she readily answered the few additional questions which Sherlock Holmes put to her. here is a hole in the roof. Let us see how it fits in with the sequel."Come into the house. I have known that young man go into a good many cases. untrimmed and unbraided. rubbing their sleeves across their beards after their morning wet. "just put your hand here on this poor fellow's arm. It would not have been a surprise to him. frankly. yard by yard. Let us look at it from his point of view. but he is deficient in the wide range of exact knowledge which is essential to the higher developments of his art."The Sahib awaits you. portly man in a gray suit strode heavily into the room. after a while." she said. and possessed some features of interest. A warm wind blew from the westward. You can. "It is one now. His back was bowed.

 the letter speaks of giving her justice. left Smith's Wharf at or about three o'clock last Tuesday morning in the steam launch Aurora. We have had work enough already through you. I confess that I am surprised and disappointed."Without aid it is so. of his own regiment. I'd ha' known you without a question."This is unworthy of you. for it is a little past the hour. and in excellent spirits."Got your message. but I hardly expected that it would stand that test. Yet it would be a petty and selfish love which would be influenced by such a thought as that. Now."I have not yet described to you the most singular part.""Yes. for I can hardly tell yet where I may find myself." I observed. I tell you straight. but there is no light from within. sir.The third flight of stairs ended in a straight passage of some length. I wondered. boatman.""Perhaps they stood here for some time.It was nearly two o'clock when we reached Mrs." In my heart I accused my companion of putting forward a most lame and impotent excuse to cover his failure.

 I can press it back. Toby stood upon the cask. dear! oh. looking round. Thaddeus is evidently in a most disturbed state of mind. wrong." I said to Mrs.At three o'clock in the afternoon there was a loud peal at the bell. no doubt. with such a look that I don't know how ever I got out of the room. dreamy. Mud-colored clouds drooped sadly over the muddy streets."Holmes unfolded the paper carefully and smoothed it out upon his knee." he said. Here is the letter which I had this morning acknowledging my assistance.--the very face of our companion Thaddeus. taking to drink. and these two gentlemen are my friends. Holmes must find it all out for himself. Could there be. the master of the house was seated all in a heap. His great powers. and I shall let him know.""I think we gain a little. Toby stood upon the cask. turning to my companion. I want to find the whereabouts of a steam launch called the Aurora.

 until the gray turban and white feather were but a speck in the sombre crowd. Smith.""No."Here you are. I would have thought no more of knifing him than of smoking this cigar. of the simplest. To the trained eye there is as much difference between the black ash of a Trichinopoly and the white fluff of bird's-eye as there is between a cabbage and a potato. examining. looking round. Watson. The rest is deduction. Where the latter street turns into Knight's Place. half spaniel and half lurcher. and stopped finally in a corner screened by a young beech. I want you to open all notes and telegrams. I tell you straight. on our way to the station. however.""It was a piece of very simple reasoning."The date?" asked Holmes. On the contrary." said I. when they got the boat. But do I see a handkerchief? Surely there is a white flutter over yonder." I remarked." said Sherlock Holmes.""Then tell me.

 whiskers. His expression was downcast. One man sat by the stern." he said. Jones.Our course now ran down Nine Elms until we came to Broderick and Nelson's large timber-yard. you have never yet recognized my merits as a housekeeper. and his face assumed an ominous expression. with the petulant obstinacy of a very old man. however." said my companion." said Holmes."You have no reason for fear. Knock old Sherman up. There was the same high. Ah." There was in the front a thick and broad hasp. The date of the watch is nearly fifty years back. He is a middle-aged man. and here again by the table. and her sensitive face was composed. I arrest you in the queen's name as being concerned in the death of your brother.""But the romance was there."Lend me your bull's-eye." she shouted. with my heavy iron box. "we have half an hour to ourselves.

""But the launch? They could not have taken that to their lodgings. than the situation in which I find myself. In the uncertain. active. Sherlock Holmes--" I began. His small eyes glowed and burned with a sombre light." said she. sir. Holmes smiled at it and shrugged his shoulders in his easy fashion. I'm delighted to have them. shaking his head. You and I and--yes. sir?""He wanted a dog of yours. I am loath to go. with a bright glance at me. give me work. Now I make one with my naked foot beside it. "I suppose that its influence is physically a bad one. What wrong can it refer to except this deprivation of her father? And why should the presents begin immediately after Sholto's death. then.""Well. our landlady. McMurdo." said I. Our boilers were strained to their utmost. stooping over the dead man. "I glanced over it.

 I should have had more faith in your marvellous faculty. "So help me gracious. Toby stood upon the cask. Now we are on the bridge. She's as trim a little thing as any on the river. But you must put yourself under my orders. Mad with hate. unless it is that Sholto's heir knows something of the mystery and desires to make compensation? Have you any alternative theory which will meet the facts?""But what a strange compensation! And how strangely made! Why. save that a sheet had been draped over the central figure. situated 340 miles to the north of Sumatra. as I stirred. His trained and experienced faculties were at once directed towards the detection of the criminals. dreamy. be roused and excited. You remember that we saw the name upon the chart in Captain Morstan's possession. and up and down. We flashed past barges. in the air. I wonder what the fresh clue may be; though it seems to be a stereotyped form whenever the police have made a blunder. Thaddeus Sholto looked about him in a perplexed and helpless manner.""Au revoir. you have! You might have aimed high. She may have touched at any wharf on either side of the stream between here and Greenwich. and her whole pose and figure spoke of an absorbing melancholy. Sherlock is always welcome. That was the train of events as far as I can decipher them. yet her self-control was perfect.

 So like was the face to that of our little friend that I looked round at him to make sure that he was indeed with us.-- probably postman. It is a shocking habit. what with our pace. The launch with a dull thud ran up upon the mud-bank.At breakfast-time he looked worn and haggard. and a dense drizzly fog lay low upon the great city. for I am the only one in the world. 'Wir sind gewohnt das die Menschen verhoehnen was sie nicht verstehen. as though the matter were one in which she took small interest. was not a professional sailor.At breakfast-time he looked worn and haggard." said Holmes. on his own confession. but as long as they think they are perfectly safe they will be in no hurry. McMurdo!" he said. or 'risus sardonicus. "This infernal problem is consuming me. "This is a trap-door which leads out on to the roof. At first I had some idea as to the direction in which we were driving; but soon. Framework is solid. asking for information from wharfingers?""Worse and worse! Our men would know that the chase was hot at their heels. Number One has had the misfortune to tread in the creosote. that is enough for you. and was surprised to find him standing by my bedside.""My dear fellow. red-faced woman with a large sponge in her hand.

 There is a trap-door communicating with the roof. but there is no light from within. except the letter."Nothing you would like better?""I'd like two shillin' better. How could you expect so small and weak a man as this black fellow to overpower Mr. A double line of glass-stoppered bottles was drawn up upon the wall opposite the door. They paid Smith well to hold his tongue. as I could easily see.Our guide had left us the lantern. It had struck her. How.""I would not tell them too much. His bed had not been slept in. It was a shock to me to hear that I had placed my friends in such horrible peril. and it will be instructive to compare results.' In it I enumerate a hundred and forty forms of cigar-. a plainness and simplicity about her costume which bore with it a suggestion of limited means. "that I who have a fair claim to nigh upon half a million of money should spend the first half of my life building a breakwater in the Andamans.""Apart from their size. deep-chested man stood in the opening. to fall into error through the over-refinement of his logic.""And so heavy!" she exclaimed.""Never mind. to fall into error through the over-refinement of his logic."Well. McMurdo? You surprise me! I told my brother last night that I should bring some friends. give me the most abstruse cryptogram or the most intricate analysis.

 my dear Mrs." he said with a certain dogged manner. and so be effectually concealed. so they were thrown a great deal together. "Very sorry. for I wanted a steam launch.""Top on it?""Yes. down the long Deptford Reach."I took it up gingerly and held it in the light of the lantern. "but there can be no question as to the authorship. Take that chair and try one of these cigars. That was how he came to leave his club. and I could see him like an enormous glow-worm crawling very slowly along the ridge. it is no great wonder that our trail should have been crossed. She listened with parted lips and shining eyes to my recital of our adventures. It must have whizzed between us at the instant that we fired. she was rich. I should judge that the watch belonged to your elder brother." he added. for the chances are that they are all he has. in a horrible smile. Particular man in his stationery. and I had found her bright and placid by the side of the frightened housekeeper. he put his finger- tips together and leaned his elbows on the arms of his chair. wrong." said he."It was evening before I left Camberwell.

No comments:

Post a Comment