Monday, May 16, 2011

as I have said. at my confident folly in leaving the machine.

 subterranean for innumerable generations
 subterranean for innumerable generations. It blundered against a block of granite.and as it seemed to me greyer either with dust and dirt or because its colour had actually faded. (Footnote: It may be. surmounted by a scorched hawthorn. Then I turned to where Weena lay beside my iron mace. the Eloi had kept too much of the human form not to claim my sympathy.And the salt.It sounds plausible enough to-night. Transverse to the length were innumerable tables made of slabs of polished stone.and the Silent Man followed suit. dusty. My explanation may be absolutely wrong. I went on clambering down the sheer descent with as quick a motion as possible. and so forth.You may imagine how all my calm vanished.Is that plain I was never more serious in my life.

 I grasped the mental operations of the Morlocks. Very soon I had a choking smoky fire of green wood and dry sticks. this tendency had increased till Industry had gradually lost its birthright in the sky. as yet. with my hands clutching my hair. and the specialization of the sexes with reference to their childrens needs disappears. and I rejoined her with a mace in my hand more than sufficient. Good-bye. It took no very great mental effort to infer that my Time Machine was inside that pedestal. Indeed. was fast asleep.Well he said. They did it as a standing horse paws with his foot.The Editor wanted that explained to him. and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future.said I. Then.

 One of them addressed me.erected on a strictly communistic basis. looking for some trace of Weena.The Psychologist recovered from his stupor. and vanish. at the foot of that shaft? I sat upon the edge of the well telling myself that. I remember creeping noiselessly into the great hall where the little people were sleeping in the moonlight--that night Weena was among them--and feeling reassured by their presence. a wriggling red spot in the blackness. Yet.stooping to light a spill at the fire. and laughingly flinging them upon me until I was almost smothered with blossom. I looked at the lawn again.for a silver birch tree touched its shoulder. I sat down to watch the place. Yet I could think of no other. perhaps. by another day.

 I now felt safe against being caught napping by the Morlocks. perhaps. they turned to what old habit had hitherto forbidden. And during these few revolutions all the activity.set my teeth.another at seventeen. Then I looked at Weena. I dont know if you will understand my feeling.He asks me in this note to lead off with dinner at seven if hes not back. The two species that had resulted from the evolution of man were sliding down towards..and the little machine suddenly swung round. the earth from weeds or fungi; everywhere were fruits and sweet and delightful flowers; brilliant butterflies flew hither and thither. All the time I ran I was saying to myself: "They have moved it a little. so I determined.turning towards the Time Traveller. with extreme sureness if with extreme slowness at work again upon all its treasures.

I lugged over the lever. sobbing and raving in my anguish of mind. There were other signs of removal about. to show no concern and to abstain from any pursuit of them.I saw the moon spinning swiftly through her quarters from new to full. Glancing upward. Then I got a big pebble from the river. of which I have told you.But a civilized man is better off than the savage in this respect. no nitrates of any kind. Why had the Morlocks taken my Time Machine? For I felt sure it was they who had taken it. in trying to revive the sensation of fear.and poured him wine. But everything was so strange. one very hot morning--my fourth.But some foolish people have got hold of the wrong side of that idea. I wanted the Time Machine.

 I saw the aperture.I thought of the flickering pillars and of my theory of an underground ventilation. began to whimper. for instance.He can go up against gravitation in a balloon. surmounted by a scorched hawthorn.He drained it. Then things came clear in my mind.And now I must be explicit.Between the tables was scattered a great number of cushions. Catching myself at that. I could look my circumstances fairly in the face. and soon my theorizing passed into dozing. came the clear knowledge of what the meat I had seen might be. The gay robes of the beautiful people moved hither and thither among the trees. I knew. There were no signs of struggle.

and some transparent crystalline substance. I felt hopelessly cut off from my own kind--a strange animal in an unknown world. and grasping this lever in my hands.Then he turned. It had never occurred to me until that moment that there was any need to economize them. Mexican. when Fear does not paralyse and mystery has lost its terrors. It happened that. sometimes fresher. too. I had made myself the most complicated and the most hopeless trap that ever a man devised. a Morlock came blundering towards me. But the jest was unsatisfying.whats the matter cried the Medical Man.There was a minutes pause perhaps. this new vermin that had replaced the old.Wheres my mutton he said.

 The freshness of the morning made me desire an equal freshness. The male pursued the female. perhaps.thinking (after his wont) in headlines. of considerable portions of the surface of the land. He gave a whoop of dismay. I mean that it had gone deeper and deeper into larger and ever larger underground factories. and waved it in their dazzled faces. come into the future to carry on a miniature flirtation. and sat down beside her to wait for the moonrise. Only ragged vestiges of glass remained in its windows. the best of all defences against the Morlocks I had matches! I had the camphor in my pocket. I felt little teeth nipping at my neck. Clearly. to want to go killing ones own descendants! But it was impossible. with my hands clutching my hair.In a moment I was clutched by several hands.

 rather foolishly. I thought.was of bronze. So soon as my appetite was a little checked. The clinging hands slipped from me. As you went down the length.The big doorway opened into a proportionately great hall hung with brown. the thing itself had been worn away. the explosive thud as each fresh tree burst into flame. the heel of one of my shoes was loose.Afterwards he got more animated.and again grappled fiercely.-ED. Decaying vegetation may occasionally smoulder with the heat of its fermentation. and if they dont.Im going to wash and dress.Fruit.

 Here and there rose a white or silvery figure in the waste garden of the earth. this new vermin that had replaced the old. wading in at a point lower down. again.It would be remarkably convenient for the historian.It seemed to advance and to recede as the hail drove before it denser or thinner.but came painfully to the table.and watched the Time Traveller through his eyelashes. I still think it is the most plausible one.Then he turned. and the voices of others among the Eloi. and it was no great wonder to see four at once. No doubt the exquisite beauty of the buildings I saw was the outcome of the last surgings of the now purposeless energy of mankind before it settled down into perfect harmony with the conditions under which it lived the flourish of that triumph which began the last great peace. and I went on down a very ruinous aisle running parallel to the first hall I had entered. this seat and the tranquil view and the warm sunlight were very pleasant.) What is more. and.

 too. The big building I had left was situated on the slope of a broad river valley. and as it shaped itself to me that evening.I thought of the Time Traveller limping painfully upstairs. Southward (as I judged it) was a very bright red star that was new to me it was even more splendid than our own green Sirius. and I went on down a very ruinous aisle running parallel to the first hall I had entered. the same splendid palaces and magnificent ruins. This time they were not so seriously alarmed.I expected to finish it on Friday.he said. In costume. I felt hopelessly cut off from my own kind--a strange animal in an unknown world. Face this world. my temper got the better of me. Then hesitating for a moment how to express time. I was caught by the neck. I could see.

said Filby.said the Editor. lank fingers came feeling over my face. who had been staved off for a few thousand years. but that hope was staggered by these new discoveries. seated as near to me as they could come. from a terrace on which I rested for a while.and then went round the warm and comfortable room. therefore. too.only the more dreadful and disgusting for our common likeness a foul creature to be incontinently slain.a certain journalist. have moralized upon the futility of all ambition. It was so like a human spider It was clambering down the wall.And he put it to us in this waymarking the points with a lean forefingeras we sat and lazily admired his earnestness over this new paradox (as we thought it:) and his fecundity. and as I did so my hand came against my iron lever. for myself.

 but that the museum was built into the side of a hill.You may imagine how all my calm vanished.It would be remarkably convenient for the historian.It was at ten oclock to day that the first of all Time Machines began its career. And I now understood to some slight degree at least the reason of the fear of the little Upper world people for the dark.I looked for the building I knew. Like the cattle. With a sudden fright I stooped to her. All the buildings and trees seemed easily practicable to such dexterous climbers as the Morlocks. it seemed to me that the little people avoided me. and most of them. and upon these were heaps of fruits. a certain childlike ease. There several times.My impression of it is.and laid considerable stress on the blowing out of the candle.making spasmodic efforts to relight his cigar over the lamp; that .

brightening in a quite transitory manner. In addition.I told myself that I could never stop. through the crowded stems. Apparently as time went on. life and property must have reached almost absolute safety.Tell you presently. They had to chatter and explain the business at great length to each other.A colossal figure. and I struck some to amuse them. Later.Good heavens! man.Thickness. and so faded into the serenity of the sky. to feel any humanity in the things. now a more convenient breed of cattle.The geometry.

The camphor flickered and went out. peering down the well. I suppose. a hand touched mine.which has only two dimensions. I remember a long gallery of rusting stands of arms. tethered me in a circle of a few miles round the point of my arrival.The Journalist tried to relieve the tension by telling anecdotes of Hettie Potter. literatures. in fact. Some way down the central vista was a little table of white metal. from a terrace on which I rested for a while. and deserted. I thought that fear must be forgotten. My iron bar still gripped. and almost swung me off into the blackness beneath.Id give a shilling a line for a verbatim note.

 To enter upon them without a light was to put them into a tumult of apprehension.for this that followsunless his explanation is to be acceptedis an absolutely unaccountable thing. with my growing knowledge. and the emotions that arise therein. and Weena clung to me convulsively. however perfect.Really this is what is meant by the Fourth Dimension. Like the cattle. I.said the Editor hilariously.brief green of spring. but better than despair. I could feel it grip me at the throat and stop my breathing.At last the Time Traveller pushed his plate away. and it incontinently went out. I saw. On that theory they would have grown innumerable some Eight Hundred Thousand Years hence.

 in ten minutes.THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN TIME AND ANY OF THE THREE DIMENSIONS OF SPACE EXCEPT THAT OUR CONSCIOUSNESS MOVES ALONG IT. altogether.Still they could move a little up and down. and the like conveniences. whistling THE LAND OF THE LEAL as cheerfully as I could. and their movements grew faster. and. The red tongues that went licking up my heap of wood were an altogether new and strange thing to Weena. Then I felt other soft little tentacles upon my back and shoulders. But the odour of camphor was unmistakable.There are balloons. in eating fruit and sleeping." For a queer notion of Grant Allens came into my head. Flinging off their clinging fingers I hastily felt in my pocket for the match-box. as I have said. at my confident folly in leaving the machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment