Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Get some more of that Antitetanus. I went on home.

 which was protected by a shoulder of the mountain
 which was protected by a shoulder of the mountain.The Pope wants the Austrians to win the war. Bring him a glass of brandy.You are sweet. Lacerations of the scalp (he probed Does that hurt Christ. You rarely find any one any good this close to the front. D.All right. Some wore their steel helmets but most of them carried them slung from their packs. There was a shadow from his hand on the wall. I said.You are ignorant. When I got home it was too late and I did not see Miss Barkley until the next evening. its smooth surface covered with brick dust.

 Tenente.Pas encore. I wished I were in Milan with her. darling. I said. Tenente. One of the medical captains said the attack had been put forward an hour.They want to eat.Had you been engaged longEight years. and with the end of the summer. Manera said. in the infantry. I was experiencing the masculine difficulty of making love very long standing up. The gravel paths were moist and the grass was wet with dew.

 We dont go out. In the dark I could not see where it came from the canvas overhead. I had gone to no such place but to the smoke of cafe and nights when the room whirled and you needed to look at the wall to make it stop. How are you.Goodnight. for your own good. I believe we should get the war over. Manera said. baby. baby. sometimes it backed on a turn. It was in France of course. I told them what I had heard. said Miss Ferguson.

It could not be worse. I looked at her.Have you seen Miss BarkleyI will bring her here. schutzen stock. I said in Italian.Shes Scotch. I said. said Passini. Inside there was a light.Ill get some. One leg was gone and the other was held by tendons and part of the trouser and the stump twitched and jerked as though it were not connected. I helped the soldier with the rupture up on the seat with us. We understand you let us talk. The officers were not good but dull.

 There were some British batteries up with the third army. baby. It looked wide and well made with a good grade and the turns looked very impressive where you could see them through openings in the forest on the mountain side. she said. It was in France of course.This is the picturesque front. After a while the stream from the stretcher above lessened and started to drip again and I heard and felt the canvas above move as the man on the stretcher settled more comfortably.Do you always know what people thinkNot always. We will take over the two cars. and stood up.I will send her. They are keeping them for the pleasure of dugout hiders in the rear. She would not let me put my arm around her. are youNo.

 pneumonia and hard and soft chancres. I said. the water blue like the sky. British ambulance drivers were killed sometimes. isnt itWhat gameDont be dull. Ill go and see him and ask if he will recommend you. I said. I could see the light come out from the dressing station when the curtain opened and they brought some one in or out. But the Italians had crossed and spread out a little way on the far side to hold about a mile and a half on the Austrian side of the river.That will be nice. the priest said. We work very hard but no one trusts us. and the argument went on. Maybe he was too goodlooking to be a.

 I sat up straight and as I did so something inside my head moved like the weights on a dolls eyes and it hit me inside in back of my eyeballs.Oh. I said. Im sending you now with the English ambulance. but not losing sight of the priest.He should have fine girls.As the ambulance climbed along the road.Youre a good old boy. loosely packed cigarettes that spilled tobacco and needed to have the ends twisted before you smoked them. below in the town. she said. In the dark I could not see where it came from the canvas overhead. Ireland of Michigan. I could see the light come out from the dressing station when the curtain opened and they brought some one in or out.

 I said. lieutenant! he shouted.Oughf. They are too stupid. Gavuzzi said.He should go to Palermo. You will like it. Dont you read it. who was on duty. It was a long time since I had written to the States and I knew I should write but I had let it go so long that it was almost impossible to write now. Suddenly to care very much and to sleep to wake with it sometimes morning and all that had been there gone and everything sharp and hard and clear and sometimes a dispute about the cost. It does not go so well. The priest smiled and blushed and shook his head. We stood outside the door on the patch and he said.

 I watched the snow falling.The Germans too. wop.Im quite well. Goodnight.Of course they dont. Then I will take him with my first load. Dont you read it.Can Gordini driveI dont think so. said the priest. It isnt me that makes fun of him.Of course they dont. He loved being a surgeon and we were great friends. His legs are very painful.

There will be no more offensive now that the snow has come. she said. without embarrassment. Rinaldi said. tipping their heads back.Do we have to go on and talk this wayNo. Goodnight. Youre not an Italian.Its not serious I hope. We two stopped talking and the captain shouted. Thats all I know.Do you always know what people thinkNot always. Perhaps we should have a drink. with the sun on it.

 darling. They take your home. The major was a little man with upturned mustaches.Savoia. You could not tell anything about them. I believe we should get the war over. hotter and slower than ever: then the stragglers. a noble man and with whose injustice. They had the complete marble quality of all looking alike. It was cold in the car in the night as the road climbed. I looked back and saw the three cars all climbing.He wiped his hands on his jumper and grinned. havent youYes. Miss Ferguson walked away in the dark.

 Then I thought of his puttees. Get well soon.Im awfully sorry. You know. He paused and thought. Miss Barkley said.Another American. I said. The sun was going down and looking up along the bank as we drove I saw the Austrian observation balloons above the hills on the other side dark against the sunset.You are crazy. tipping their heads back.I translated this for Miss Ferguson. British ambulance drivers were killed sometimes. He looked like a king.

 They are all without law to protect them. I said. Are you coming to nightNo.I thought it over. and I stood outside his cell and I said as though I were going to confession. I said.Oh. When there is really work they trust us. Passini said respectfully. He looked at me. we are. I said. I suppose. He slapped me on the shoulder.

 the major said to the two stretcher bearers. she said. said Manera. The posts for the cars would have to be as near the river as they could get and keep covered. and put on a dressing. Sometimes all niceness gone and glad to get out on the street but always another day starting and then another night. It was hard and slippery.65 caliber with a short barrel and it jumped so sharply when you let it off that there was no question of hitting anything. I sat up straight and as I did so something inside my head moved like the weights on a dolls eyes and it hit me inside in back of my eyeballs. The Englishman broke into voluble and perfect Italian. They want to get you the medaglia dargento but perhaps they can get only the bronze.Goodnight. Everything seemed in good condition. You get out and fall down by the road and get a bump on your head and Ill pick you up on our way back and take you to a hospital.

 You are my great and good friend and financial protector. Ill paint all this and Does that sting Good. I tried to make out whether they were members of the family or what; but they were all uniformly classical. I knew I did not love Catherine Barkley nor had any idea of loving her.No. They splashed more mud than the camions even and if one of the officers in the back was very small and sitting between two generals.What forBecause you are gravely wounded. she said. He said that if the thing went well he would see that I was decorated. doing things that hurt sharply and severing tissue Are you sureMe trying to lie still and feeling my stomach flutter when the flesh was cut. In the bed of the river there were pebbles and boulders. the steel helmet on the same peg. Get some more of that Antitetanus. I went on home.

No comments:

Post a Comment