Tuesday, May 10, 2011

At the gate of the driveway that led up to the British villa.

 She came back from wherever she had been
 She came back from wherever she had been. Inside I saw the head nurse. I said. His mother sent it to me. The mountain that was beyond the valley and the hillside where the chestnut forest grew was captured and there were victories beyond the plain on the plateau to the south and we crossed the river in August and lived in a house in Gorizia that had a fountain and many thick shady trees in a walled garden and a wistaria vine purple on the side of the house.Two carabinieri held the car up.At dinner I ate very quickly and left for the villa where the British had their hospital. I said. Walking home Rinaldi said. I suppose.Yes. Passing where the shells had landed I avoided the small broken places and smelled the high explosive and the smell of blasted clay and stone and freshly shattered flint.Have you ever loved any oneNo. Shes a nurse.

 It is the captain. He said it was true and by the corpse of Bacchus we would test whether it was true or not. Shes a nurse. who was on duty. There were three doctors that I knew. You ought to wash. cheekfitted. Tell me. She had slapped my face hard.I think we can get you the silver. It evidently made no difference whether I was there to look after things or not. he said.In Milano.It hasnt come up.

Arent you a nurseOh. capitano (next finger). I handed the canteen back to Passini. I lied. felt the brake come off and the clutch go in. and if the car went especially fast it was probably the King.Well be most careful of them. We drove slowly in this matting covered tunnel and came out onto a bare cleared space where the railway station had been.Yes.That night at the mess I sat next to the priest and he was disappointed and suddenly hurt that I had not gone to the Abruzzi. Manera said.When you come back bring a phonograph. Manera and Gavuzzi each went off with a load of wounded. His right hand left the wheel and opened a button on his tunic and pulled it out from under his shirt.

 He was sitting up beside one of the brick walls. and put on a dressing. She came back from wherever she had been. Its much cooler.A sergeant shot two officers who would not get out. Priest wants Austrians to win the war. He woke when he heard me in the room and sat up.Why notNo.Jesus Christ. He looked at the priest and shouted.You love Italy Rinaldi asked Miss Ferguson in English.Ill walk down with you.Wop.About the soup.

 I made sure he was dead. The outlines of the cypresses that lined it were sharp and clear.Do you always know what people thinkNot always. With a girl it is painful.He shook his head. When we were out on the gravel drive she said.How is he the Englishman called back. Another nurse was with her.Rinaldi was talking with the other nurse.You speak English he asked. lit it and went on reading. You take it. She was crying. I said.

 Now Ill probe for some of this if you like but its not necessary.Yes there is. Id be glad to kiss you if you dont mind.No. fast and shallow. He came back with a handful of roasted coffee beans. under a hill beyond the river. I like the simpler pleasures. How is GordiniHes all right.Ill see you in a little while. You could stay with my family. though.The priest smiled. the stumps of trees projected.

That was because it was first. Your goddesses. They would take me as soon as possible.Probably. He stooped to go under the doorway and went out. Tenente. The grappa was very strong. Why did you join up with the ItaliansI was in Italy. Poor dear baby. left the car at the dressing station under the hill. baby. So I went to the jail. I saw that word pricked him and kept on. He was the Kings uncle and commanded the third army.

 Then we saw a horse ambulance stopped by the road. father.Go to hell.Here is the American Tenente. Helen. I wanted to go to the Black Forest.Oh. Why dont you come inHe shook his head. The coffee was a pale gray and sweet with condensed milk. You walk up and down. When I got home it was too late and I did not see Miss Barkley until the next evening.Youre the American in the Italian army she asked. A. I unwound the puttee and while I was doing it I saw there was no need to try and make a tourniquet because he was dead already.

Say. He drank a half tumbler of cognac. His mother sent it to me.Ill just step out the door a minute. I took her hands.Three hundred fives. Perhaps it start again.Outside we ran across the brickyard. Ive known him before.I wish there was some place we could go. The major got up from the telephone. Besides.There arent any four hundred twenties in the mountains. He bellows.

 You have a good time The others all grinned too. walking carefully in the slush. I thought perhaps he couldnt stand it and then of course he was killed and that was the end of it. when you knew that that was all there was. misunderstandings.I dried my hands and took out my pocketbook from the inside of my tunic hanging on the wall.Savoia. How does that feelSweat ran all over me. It was in France of course. He smiled.The next afternoon I went to call on Miss Barkley again. There were three doctors that I knew.He ought to go to Capri.They cant do anything.

 The Englishman broke into voluble and perfect Italian.We went over toward Rinaldi and Miss Ferguson. but with the difference between us. You wont worry now. He woke when he heard me in the room and sat up. it was slow in the traffic. He would loan them mess tins if they did not have them. We walked to the door and I saw her go in and down the hall. wop. Five stars. the captain said looking at the priest and at me.Of a whatHe explained. and then I heard close to me some one saying Mama Mia Oh. They did very well last summer.

I will send her. Roma.Oh. Get some more of that Antitetanus. I undid the clasp of the gold chain and put it around my neck and clasped it. I felt it against the back of the chair. I stood up. SicilyHe should visit Amalfi. Those postcards would be very fine in America; strange and mysterious. dry and white in the sun. its smooth surface covered with brick dust. The afternoon was a quiet time. darling.What is the differenceA nurse is like a doctor.

 the fighting in the mountains beyond the town.If everybody would not attack the war would be over. Goodnight.Bring good opera disks. I sent a couple of army Zona di Guerra postcards.Oh. with the sun on it.Whats to stop itIt will crack somewhere. They had the complete marble quality of all looking alike. lifting the spaghetti on the fork until the loose strands hung clear then lowering it into the mouth.No. depended to a considerable extent on myself.Good. then crossed the river.

 the captain commenced picking on the priest. sometimes it backed on a turn.They dropped me once more before we reached the post. You dont have to pretend you love me.I dont think it will hurt you. It was quite evident he had stolen the bonds. Tenente. he said. I said. Stop it. He loved being a surgeon and we were great friends.A big shell came in and burst outside in the brickyard.I will get it for you.Shall we sit here or go out in the gardenLets go out.

And youre all right I asked outside. I said.I did not.They come after you. I must do something about getting you out of here.Yes.Sure. Ill send your English girl. But if you have had it you know. below in the town.Some troops went out. The saint hung down on the Outside of my uniform and I undid the throat of my tunic. baby. At the gate of the driveway that led up to the British villa.

No comments:

Post a Comment