Tuesday, May 10, 2011

I had not noticed her.Thats what the priest said.Goodnight.

 Ill be wise like you
 Ill be wise like you.They tell me youve lost two drivers. good luck and Vive la France. What an odd thing--to be in the Italian army. He is a priest; he will appreciate it. Miss Barkley was sitting on a bench in the garden. and healthy. It isnt me that makes fun of him. Gordini stood behind me. she said.They may crack. and then I heard close to me some one saying Mama Mia Oh. she said.I like him.

 said the major. If they did.The next afternoon I went to call on Miss Barkley again. I did not want to go there anyway. lieutenant. Ill not learn it in two weeks. I was riding in the first car and as we passed the entry to the British hospital I told the driver to stop. We went for a stretcher but there wasnt any. The major said there was an Italian story something like that about the duchess who could not sleep at night. Passini was quiet now. then stopped and kissed her.You did exactly right. They cant go on doing things like the Somme and not crack. You only pretend to be American.

 in which you said things instead of playing cards. The system was to bring everything down the new road and take the empty trucks. . Rinaldi said that the French had mutinied and troops marched on Paris.Bacchus. Tenente.Do they ever shell that battery Tasked one of the mechanics. I would have liked to drive over the new road but it was not yet finished. The British had come with three ambulances and they had two men on each ambulance. said the lieutenant. The Austrian army was created to give Napoleon victories; any Napoleon. I asked him if there was a big dugout where the drivers could stay and he sent a soldier to show me. I wore a real one and felt like a gunman until I practised firing it. We wont drop you again.

 But millions of fools like you dont know it. she said.No. Tenente. the lieutenant said.A showI dont think its anything.Fine. Put it on the floor.Not reallyNever. The priest was good but dull. I thought she was very beautiful. I knew I did not love Catherine Barkley nor had any idea of loving her. I kept my arm where it was. I wiped my hand on my shirt and another floating light came very slowly down and I looked at my leg and was very afraid.

 He was dressed. Im not. I will. baby. Manera said he hoped it would come before the bombardment started. Passini said. left the car at the dressing station under the hill. chewed.No. I waked the orderly and he poured mineral water on the dressings. said Passini and spat on the floor. Shell be off then. It is with them the war is made. There were four drivers.

 Passini said respectfully. sometimes now seeing his face and little long necked body and gray beard like a goats chin tuft; all these with the sudden interiors of houses that had lost a wall through shelling. I made sure he was dead.Did you ever read the Black Pig asked the lieutenant. poured out into the glass held with the same hand; after this course. After supper I would go and see Catherine Barkley. great general but he looked like a man.There is a class that controls a country that is stupid and does not realize anything and never can. What kind of time did you haveMagnificent. I said.Wait a minute.Savoia.Did they cross the river all rightEnormously. There were three others to locate.

No. they stopped them.One of those shot by the carabinieri is from my town. What inflicted the woundsThe medical captain. That is very clear. he explained to me. the priest said. the major said.I didnt know about anything then. but not losing sight of the priest. Through the other noise I heard a cough. I told them what I had heard. she said.That night at the mess I sat next to the priest and he was disappointed and suddenly hurt that I had not gone to the Abruzzi.

 keeping to the side. It was all as I had left it except that now it was spring. He made a gesture and laughed loudly. The priest was good but dull. looking at my eyes all the time. They were sweaty.The Pope wants the Austrians to win the war.I have one.We looked at each other in the dark.I did not understand the word. baby.Ill walk down with you. he said.I dont believe a word of this.

What the hell. Manera said.Yes.I would like to go with you and show you things. Rinaldi shook his head. But I thought it would be bad for him. I thought she was probably a little crazy. I felt I had a certain advantage. There were big search lights on that front mounted on camions that you passed sometimes on the roads at night. The drivers were pleased with it and I left them there. Rinaldi was sitting on the bed with a copy of Hugos English grammar.Goodnight.I felt his breath come toward me. as I said.

 Beautiful young girlsaccompanied by their mothers. There were stretchers lifted and slid into the slings above. waiting for Catherine Barkley to come down. No that wasnt it. Signor Tenente.Also they make money out of it.What is the differenceA nurse is like a doctor.Hes dead I think. Goodnight. I could go to Spain if there was no war. We dont go out. Not very well.Where were the Hartz Mountains anyway They were fighting in the Carpathians. and he came from Amalfi.

Nothing.What is itThe man on the stretcher over me has a hemorrhage. It is one for The Lancet.I dont think it will hurt you. Not in the auto ambulance. Maria.Im dreadfully sorry. he said. Oh you should see what I did in the removal of three metres of small intestine and better now than ever. were on the trunk. The men were hot and sweating. 206 arent youYes. The wine was bad but not dull. You walk up and down.

 She went on down the hall. The British had come with three ambulances and they had two men on each ambulance. Isnt itWhat is the stick I asked. I knew I did not love Catherine Barkley nor had any idea of loving her.No.Captain doctor (interested in something he was finding). It was impossible to salute foreigners as an Italian. was blonde and had a tawny skin and gray eyes.Were not far from the top. They were hospitals beyond the river. Gordini stood up and went outside with me. Ill wrap you up and dont bounce your head around. I would go crazy. Jesus Christ.

 Theres no work now. There were four drivers. I said. Passini said respectfully. he said. The lieutenant.Have you seen Miss BarkleyI will bring her here. They are keeping them for the pleasure of dugout hiders in the rear.We must shut up.We must shut up. We passed a long column of loaded mules. although I learned it later. lieutenant! he shouted.I pressed her hand.

 He stopped and sat down beside the road. I watched the flashes on San Gabriele. no. Jesus Christ. Signor Tenente.I think we can get you the silver.Good. I am well. There was one smashed bridge across the river. At the gate of the driveway that led up to the British villa. There is nothing worse than war. I said. I forget exactly what they were. This had been the villa of a very wealthy German and the busts must have cost him plenty.

 Rinaldi saluted. Driving in convoy is not unpleasant if you are the first car and I settled back in the seat and watched the country. Tenente. In the jolt of my head I heard somebody crying.No.Oughf. Ive seen your Tenente. I stood up. I said.So long. I think so. I had not noticed her.Thats what the priest said.Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment