Tuesday, May 10, 2011

not let us talk this way.

Priest not happy
Priest not happy. I had a drink with a captain that I knew in one of the dugouts and went back across the bridge.I stopped to ask if you were better. The battery fired twice and the air came each time like a blow and shook the window and made the front of my pajamas flap. I had been driving and I sat in the car and the driver took the papers in. Fragments of enemy trench mortar shell.It was nearly dark when we came down and turned onto the main road that ran beside the river. and in the fall when the rains came the leaves all fell from the chestnut trees and the branches were bare and the trunks black with rain.Not Strega.Ill leave you two.I cant imagine lying like that. We understand you let us talk. Passini was dead. All the officers were very happy.

 I said.Wonderful.You drive. It was a long time since I had written to the States and I knew I should write but I had let it go so long that it was almost impossible to write now. I never hurt anybody. wont you She looked up at me. That major at the first post was a hogbutcher.I didnt say anything. I said. They say so. Goodnight.Were you in the StatesSure. We read. I love you.

Its not serious I hope. They are too stupid. I watched them settle on the ceiling. To your valorous wounds. The town was very nice and our house was very fine.How are the cars Manera asked. I was still angry and as I held her suddenly she shivered.Priest not with girls. Id be glad to kiss you if you dont mind. sometimes now seeing his face and little long necked body and gray beard like a goats chin tuft; all these with the sudden interiors of houses that had lost a wall through shelling. What an odd thing--to be in the Italian army. the line of the river that separated the two armies.The adjutant. Passini was dead.

I saw Catherine Barkley coming down the hall. Next week the war starts again.You dont believe me We will go now this afternoon and see. the line of ties and rails running along it.What is there to eatWe have a little pasta asciutta. Signor Tenente. Troops went by the house and down the road and the dust they raised powdered the leaves of the trees. There. Will you have a cigaretteThanks. For two weeks now they havent changed them. I saw that word pricked him and kept on. My Austrian snipers rifle with its blued octagon barrel and the lovely dark walnut. FrancoI am all right. So were all on very special behavior.

 With your priest and your English girl. The little major looked at us furious. He sat down beside me. in order that I might understand perfectly. A regiment went by in the road and I watched them pass. Ive seen the holes. He laughed. A shell burst short near the river bank. One of the medical captains said the attack had been put forward an hour. This chap of yours was very anxious for me to see you. At the foot of the bed was my flat trunk. she said.Come on. that looked chalky white and furrowed.

He poured two glasses and we touched them. He can be here until you are ready to take him. His shoulder was smashed and his head was hurt. I had not noticed her. I said. he said. He said that if the thing went well he would see that I was decorated. Dont you read it. sitting on the small of my back. It isnt me that makes fun of him. I said. I couldnt move.I did not.The Pope wants the Austrians to win the war.

 dusty and tired. He was dressed. It was cold in the car in the night as the road climbed. You dont have to pretend you love me. Rinaldi was sitting on the bed with a copy of Hugos English grammar. baby. He said that if the thing went well he would see that I was decorated. I said. and in the fall when the rains came the leaves all fell from the chestnut trees and the branches were bare and the trunks black with rain. In the jolt of my head I heard somebody crying. Signor Tenente. They do it for nothing. I took her hands. The wind blew the leaves in the bower over the door of the dressing station and the night was getting cold.

 I said.That road will be a dirty mess.Whats wrong with your legIts not my leg. This chap of yours was very anxious for me to see you. They would take me as soon as possible.What is there to eatWe have a little pasta asciutta. There is no finish to a war. Let everybody defend his home. Bacchus barred. I watched her face. darling. I would go crazy. I said. wont you She looked up at me.

 the camion stopped a little off the road. Are they going to have an offensiveYes. It was a hot night and there was a good deal going on up in the mountains. I tried to make out whether they were members of the family or what; but they were all uniformly classical. a noise like a railway engine starting and then an explosion that shook the earth again. There were troops on this road and motor trucks and mules with mountain guns and as we went down. I had a very fine little show and Im all right now.How is everythingSplendid. You get out and fall down by the road and get a bump on your head and Ill pick you up on our way back and take you to a hospital. He looked at the priest and shouted.Wonderful. I remembered. All the officers were very happy. There were many more guns in the country around and the spring had come.

 The British had come with three ambulances and they had two men on each ambulance.Nonsense. Profound wounds of right knee and foot. one of the other captains said. There is no finish to a war. selfinflicted wounds. A trench mortar shell.Yes. There isnt always an explanation for everything. Miss Barkley was sitting on a bench in the garden. The forest had been green in the summer when we had come into the town but now there were the stumps and the broken trunks and the ground torn up. Two men were lifting the hernia man to put him in. All right. Ill see the medical wallahs.

 I looked across the wire at the Austrian lines.Rinaldi was talking with the other nurse.A sergeant shot two officers who would not get out. and stood up. Miss Ferguson was with her.It sounds very funny nowCatherine. Im awfully tired.What is the differenceA nurse is like a doctor. The cars would be all right with their good metaltometal brakes and anyway. Rinaldi carried a holster stuffed with toilet paper. Chew those. I had drunk much wine and afterward coffee and Strega and I explained. havent youYes. then crossed the river.

What is there to eatWe have a little pasta asciutta. They were hospitals beyond the river. smoking. So were all on very special behavior. Goodnight.Wop.Maybe girls dont want to go to the front any more. said the major. she said. havent youYes. Gordini stood up and went outside with me.He shook his head. sometimes it stopped.How did you happen to do that Why didnt you join up with usI dont know.

 But the little Scotch one is very nice. In Pittsburgh. We grew up together. The trunks of the trees too were dusty and the leaves fell early that year and we saw the troops marching along the road and the dust rising and leaves. I heard the machine guns and rifles firing across the river and all along the river. was my age. I thought perhaps he couldnt stand it and then of course he was killed and that was the end of it. and in the fall when the rains came the leaves all fell from the chestnut trees and the branches were bare and the trunks black with rain. It was impossible to salute foreigners as an Italian. Ill paint all this and Does that sting Good. unloaded them and went away. all this in a moment.I would like to go with you and show you things. The British had come with three ambulances and they had two men on each ambulance.

No.That doesnt matter. She would not let me put my arm around her. Kiss me goodby. I wish she were here now. I said. One killed and the fellow that brought you. baby. There had been a little town but it was all rubble.No. I like the simpler pleasures.They want to eat. I had been driving and I sat in the car and the driver took the papers in. If you must have a priest have that priest.

 But as long as you drive the cars and behave  and dont talk so other officers can hear. for you have sinned.They talked too much at the mess and I drank wine because tonight we were not all brothers unless I drank a little and talked with the priest about Archbishop Ireland who was. sometimes it stopped. I say its rotten. It would only be worse if we stopped fighting.If it wasnt that that happens to their families nobody would go to the attack. clear red. He woke when he heard me in the room and sat up.And the priest was locked up. it couldnt all go on. I sat in the high seat of the Fiat and thought about nothing. I saw he wore gloves.You should not let us talk this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment